Start Date: Sept 29, 2921 Compensation: 16.00 per hour
The Horticultural Society of New York (the Hort) is seeking an energetic and dedicated Assistant Gardeners to help with horticultural work. This position is part of the New York City Clean Up Corps and will end on December 31, 2021. This position will carry out garden maintenance and projects in a timely and professional manner, working to clean, maintain, and plant public spaces in New York City neighborhoods hardest hit by Covid. Sites include public plazas and open streets.
The mission of the Horticultural Society of New York is to sustain the vital connection between people and plants. Our social service and public programs education and inspire, growing a broad community that values horticulture for the many benefits it brings to our environment, our neighborhoods, and our lives.
Summary/Objective: Under the supervision of the Field Supervisor, the Assistant Gardeners will perform horticultural tasks at City CleanUp Corps sites.
- Perform horticultural maintenance and installations
- Communicate logistical challenges and general conflicts as they arise
- Take care of tools, supplies, and uniforms provided
- Survey condition of sites
- Communicate status of job site, including improvements needed or issues
- Participate in education days/professional development
- Horticulturist/gardener with hands-on experience building, and maintaining urban green spaces, gardens, and/or urban farms
- Interest in working as part of a pilot city program
- Comfortable traveling daily to new sites throughout NYC
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to perform physical labor outside in various weather conditions
Details at a Glance
This full-time, non-exempt position works Monday through Friday from 9am to 5pm from various field sites. All new employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before their start date.
The Hort offers CleanUp Corps sick leave and personal leave accrued for time worked MetroCards will also be provided.
How to Apply:
To be considered please email a thoughtful cover letter, resume, and two references to Lauren Keane-Farrell at CleanUpCorpsJobs@thehort.org with “Assistant Gardener” in the subject line. No phones calls.
The Hort is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. It is an equal opportunity employer and
does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law.
Contact Name: Jasmine Chang