Position Title: Assistant Gardener
Reports to: Director of Horticulture & Foreperson of Grounds
FLSA Status: Full-time, Non-exempt
Brooklyn Botanic Garden (BBG) seeks an assistant gardener to join its Horticulture department. Under supervision, the assistant gardener assists in and performs gardening and related work. This position reports to the director of Horticulture and the foreperson of Grounds.
- Assist in tasks such as planting and caring for perennials, annuals, trees shrubs, and turf.
- Assist in performing tasks involving maintenance and operations of greenhouses and nurseries.
- Assist in preparation of soil and seed beds, weeding, mulching, and mowing lawns; assist in repairing damaged planted areas, fertilizing, and watering plants.
- Assist in and perform tasks involved in operation and care of hand- and power-gardening tools and equipment. Make necessary operating adjustments to same; report needs for repairs and replacements to supervisor.
- Perform simple recordkeeping and prepare simple written reports.
- Drive vehicles and operate any other motorized equipment incidental to the performance of duties.
- As directed, perform various tasks in connection with cleaning of grounds, fixtures, and equipment.
- May occasionally lead seasonal employees, and volunteers.
- Perform other related duties or special projects as directed.
- Thirty credits, at least 15 of which must be in horticulture, agriculture, or a related field, from an accredited college or community college; or a certificate from a recognized horticultural or botanical program
- One year of full-time experience in gardening work, including experience in each of the following: planting, cultivating, and caring for trees, plants, shrubs, and lawns; or
- Education and/or experience equivalent to above
- Possession of a motor vehicle driver’s license valid in the state of New York
- Ability to obtain and maintain pesticide apprentice certification
- Ability to work outside in all types of weather
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary Range – $47,437-$54,552
Brooklyn Botanic Garden considers several factors when determining the appropriate salary to offer a candidate within the listed salary range. These factors include (but are not limited to), the scope and responsibilities of the position, a candidate’s relevant work experience and education/training, job skills, equity across the institution, as well as market and organizational considerations.
- BBG offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Health Insurance that begins the date of hire; employees are offered coverage through the City of New York’s Office of Labor Relations and can choose from a variety of plans, some at no cost to the employee.
- Dental/Vision/Prescription Benefits
- Pre-Tax Benefits including flexible spending, dependent care, transit/parking accounts
- CIRS Pension/401K/Life Insurance: BBG is a member of the Cultural Institutions Retirement System (CIRS) and offers a pension and 401K plan for eligible employees. Life insurance is provided through CIRS as well.
- Life Insurance and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Generous Paid Time Off including sick time, vacation time, and 12 annual holidays
- As a 501(c)3, BBG is a Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Eligible Employer.
- Museum Pass, which provides employees the opportunity to enter many museums in New York City for free
To be considered for this position, please submit an application by clicking Apply below. Applications submitted without a résumé and cover letter will not be considered.
No telephone calls for position inquiries, please. Applicants with disabilities who need assistance with the online system, or who may require a reasonable accommodation during the application process, should contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brooklyn Botanic Garden is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.