Assistant Gardener (Community Gardens)
Start Date: March 2, 2020 Compensation: $20.00/hr
NYRP improves, maintains, and programs open spaces in communities lacking adequate resources. Working on public and private land citywide, NYRP’s flexible approach to land management serves as a model for non-profit municipal engagement. Together with partners in city agencies, non-profit organizations, and local communities, NYRP demonstrates the social and environmental value of building ownership over open spaces.
The Assistant Gardener will assist one of NYRP’s
Regional Zone Gardeners in the general maintenance of some of the 51 Community Gardens that NYRP owns and operates throughout all 5 boroughs of New York City.
The Assistant Gardener will join an experienced operations team that works toward a more equitable and sustainable urban landscape, through garden maintenance, restoration, and public engagement. Ideal candidates will demonstrate a strong work ethic, an interest in sustainable management practices, comfort interacting with the public and enthusiasm for NYRP’s
- Garden, sidewalk and lawn maintenance;
- Plant installation and maintenance;
- Delivery of materials for community gardeners;
- Litter removal;
- Graffiti removal and painting;
- Light repair and maintenance of garden infrastructure;
- Safe operation of tools, vehicles, and equipment;
- Interact with staff and the public in a courteous manner;
- Lead groups of volunteers;
- Demonstrate efficiencies in time management and project completion;
- Assist in executing greening projects throughout the city.
- Experience in one of the following fields: horticulture, groundskeeping, landscaping or environmental restoration;
- Valid and Clean NY state driver’s license;
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions;
- Ability to lift 50-lbs;
- Must be a team-player, willing to collaborate on any and all tasks required for maintaining the highest standards of landscape management and operations.
Start date: March 2, 2020
End Date: October 30, 2020
Schedule: 8:00 am-4:00 pm, Monday - Friday (Occasional Weekend Days as needed)
Application: Interested individuals are encouraged to send a cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or standard mail to 254 W. 31st Street, 10th Floor, NY, NY 10001.
NYRP is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
New York Restoration Project