Assistant Gardener (Lakeside)
Be part of the driving force that sustains Prospect Park, Brooklyn’s Flagship Park. Founded in 1987, Prospect Park Alliance is the non-profit organization that sustains, restores and advances Prospect Park, “Brooklyn’s Backyard,” in partnership with the City. The Alliance provides critical staff and resources that keep the Park green and vibrant for the diverse communities that call Brooklyn home. The Prospect Park Alliance seeks a full-time Assistant Gardener at Lakeside.
Reporting to the Lakeside Lead Gardener, the Assistant Gardener will work as part of a crew to maintain and advance the horticultural areas, lawns, and trees around the Lefrak Lakeside Center in Prospect Park. In the winter, this position may report to other supervisors on a temporary basis to carry out arboricultural, horticultural, and/or snow removal tasks.
- Herbaceous perennials spring cut-back with manual and power tools
- Hand weeding and weed whacking
- Mulching, pruning and general plant care
- Assisting with the leadership of volunteer groups
- Planting and transplanting trees, shrubs & and herbaceous plugs
- Lawn installation, renovation, over-seeding and care
- Irrigation installation, maintenance, operation of automated systems and hand watering of new plantings
- Loading and unloading plant materials onto and from transportation vehicles
- Propagate plants by division, from seed or cuttings
- Other greenhouse tasks such as watering as well as repairs and improvements to a small greenhouse structure, cold frames and an irrigation system
- Fall leaf removal and leaf shredding with rakes, blowers, mowers, etc.
- Winter snow removal with shovels, snow blowers and ice-melting salt
- Trash, plant debris and invasive species removal
- Interaction with park patrons in a professional and courteous manner
In winter months this position may be called upon to participate in tree work activities working under the Arboriculture Supervisor. Such activities may include operating a chipper, chainsaw, working with ropes and other tree work devices, carrying and removing woody debris, and maintaining arboricultural tools and equipment
- Two or more years of horticultural or landscaping experience
- Degree or Certificate in Horticulture preferred
- Positive, self-motivated, problem-solver and possessing a strong work ethic
- Experience with mowers, string trimmers, blowers, etc.
- Experience with a chainsaw, chipper, hedge-trimmer, front-loader tractor and back-hoe a plus
- Strong plant and weed identification skills, curiosity about and a passion for the plant world
- Automated irrigation system knowledge a plus
- Punctual with excellent attendance
- Ability to lift 50 lbs on a regular basis and to work outside in all weather conditions
- Ability to effectively communicate with others including staff, volunteers, and the public
- Desire to learn from various coworkers and supervisors and an approach that fosters ongoing learning
- Valid New York State Driver’s License
The schedule for this position is Mondays – Fridays, 7am-3:30pm, 40 hours per week or a schedule consistent with needs of department’s current projects; occasional weeknights, weekends, and holidays may be requested especially for emergency situations.
How to Apply:
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Please, no phone calls. Although we appreciate your interest, we will only contact applicants we are considering for interview.
The Alliance is committed to creating an inclusive employee experience for all. Regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or if you’re parenting the next generation, we firmly believe that our work is at its best when everyone feels free to be their most authentic self.”
Prospect Park Alliance