Assistant Greenhouse Horticulturist
Start Date: September Compensation: $16/hr, plus health insurance, FSA, and 401(k) eligibility
Rock Cobble Farm, located in Northwest Connecticut, is a large private estate with extensive gardens, greenhouses, and natural areas. Our greenhouse facility is equipped with three separate growing zones for environmental manipulation, housing an extensive conservatory and nursery collection consisting of over 800 tropical and temperate species in addition to an orchid collection of over 600 specimens. The greenhouse operation oversees the placement of interior plant displays, seasonal container displays, propagation, and production of plant material for estate garden needs. Accurate plant accession records, inventories, and labeling are critical to maintaining the relevance of the collection. The greenhouse’s IPM program utilizes beneficial releases and targeted pesticide applications.
The Assistant Greenhouse Horticulturist will work alongside the Greenhouse Horticulturist to maintain the greenhouse facility and plant collections in keeping with our horticultural standards. The Assistant will work with the entire horticulture team to support the operations of the farm and estate.
- Assist in the placement of interior plant displays, seasonal container displays, propagation, and production of plant material for estate garden needs.
- Work with the Greenhouse Horticulturist to maintain accurate plant accession records, inventories, and labeling.
- Watering and applying fertilizer as needed.
- Pruning and shaping of plant material.
- Maintaining and detailing the collection.
- Seed sowing and transplanting.
- Transporting and placing plant displays.
- Maintaining plant records.
- Keeping inventories up to date.
- Organization and sanitation of the greenhouse facilities.
- Adherence to high aesthetic standards in all areas.
- Interact effectively with other staff to ensure clear communication.
- Ability to use horticultural tools and power equipment safely.
- Basic knowledge of horticultural techniques.
- Willingness to work both indoors and outdoors in varying weather conditions.
- Able to perform physically strenuous task and be able to lift up to 40lbs.
- Motivated to work independently and able to take directions.
- This position requires a willingness to learn and strong attention to detail. Prior horticultural experience preferred. Experience with Microsoft Office software including Excel and Word preferred.
Requirements: This position requires a willingness to learn and strong attention to detail. Prior horticultural experience preferred. Experience with Microsoft Office software including Excel and Word preferred.
Reports to: Greenhouse Horticulturist
Job Type: Full Time
Schedule: Sundays-Thursdays, Summer: 7:00am-3:30pm, Winter: 8:00am – 4:30pm
Salary: $16/hr, plus health insurance, FSA, and 401(k) eligibility
Rock Cobble Farm
Contact Name: Christian Lessage