Assistant Head Gardener
(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Start Date: mid-April/early May Compensation: $30,000-40,000 per year
Hands-on and experienced gardener needed to join the team at Robin Hill, a private estate of 20 acres, located in the NW corner of Connecticut. Designed by Dan Pearson, the English gardener and landscape designer, the mountainous property encompasses terraces, a cutting garden, an orchard, a moss garden and meadows and more all hugged by the surrounding managed native woodland. The gardener would work alongside the head-gardener and a small team to maintain the current gardens and help with new projects on the property.
We are looking for a gardener able to commit for the 2023 season and ideally beyond. The position is for 40 hours per week, from April/May through November. For the right candidate, growth opportunities, increased responsibility, and full time position could be available in the future. Ideally looking for someone to help drive the garden with me as assistant head gardener.
The ideal candidate would be somebody who is driven, refined, passionate and able to work well within in the team and as an individual. They should have the ability to use good judgment, strong time-management and organization skills. Ability to listen closely and follow directions and collaborative, tactful communication skills are essential.
- Working closely with the head gardener on achieving the plans at hand.
- Working within the garden areas maintaining healthy plants and displays
- Working within the woodland to help maintain a healthy ecosystem by managing invasive plants
- Previous horticulture experience (1-3 years experience), fine gardening skills, with the ability to identify plants
- Good problem solving and communication skills and a sound work ethic.
- A self-starter who can relate well with others in an organized, efficient manner with a high level of accuracy, attention to detail, and follow-through.
- Applicants must be able to lift 40 lbs., be physically fit, willing to work in a variety of weather conditions
- Must be familiar with the proper use of a variety of hand and power tools and small machinery
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
Contact Name: James McGrath