Assistant Operations & Maintenance Manager
Compensation: $54,000 – $63,000
About Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS): WCS stands for wildlife and wild places. As the world’s premier wildlife conservation organization, WCS has a long track record of achieving innovative, impactful results at scale. We run field programs spanning 60 countries and the entire ocean. We build on a unique foundation: Our reach is global; we discover through best-in-class science; we protect through work on the ground with local and indigenous people; we inspire through our world-class zoos, aquarium, and education programs; and we leverage our resources through partnerships and powerful policy influence. Our more than 4,000 diverse, passionately committed team members in New York City and worldwide work collectively to achieve our conservation mission.
Position Objective: To assist the Manager in supervising the daily operations of the Queens Zoo Operations & Maintenance Departments, and ensure the department is operated safely and efficiently, consistent with the policies and procedures of the Wildlife Conservation Society.
- (3) years minimum experience supervising employees required. Supervisory and managerial experience running a maintenance crew. Experience in a union environment a plus.
- Minimum of five years of hands-on experience in some combination of construction trades, including carpentry, electrical, plumbing, masonry, welding, painting, roofing, HVAC, and/or automotive required.
- Basic computer skills to include email, word processing, and spreadsheet. Microsoft software (Word, Excel, and Outlook) skills preferred.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to work Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays.
- Valid NY, NJ or CT Driver’s license required.
- Must successfully pass a background check.
- Ability to complete any applicable FDNY certificates of fitness
- This is an active hands-on position. The position requires work in office environments as well as outdoor work in all weather conditions. Tasks require manual dexterity for various tasks (e.g. computer keyboard, copier, mobile radios, and hand and power tools) and ability to operate equipment (e.g. tractor, snow removal equipment, table saw). Some tasks require kneeling, bending, climbing ladders, navigating uneven terrain, and moderate lifting up to 50 pounds.
- Oversee Queens Zoo property, general maintenance, repair, and upkeep, including buildings, grounds, systems, and equipment.
- Manage O&M staff, including assignment of projects/ tasks including painting, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, carpentry, janitorial, and groundskeeping.
Supervise Maintainers and Attendants to ensure that employees perform all duties according to departmental standards and satisfactorily. Assign regular and preventive maintenance work orders to the staff.
- Maintain a facility-wide preventative maintenance program for the buildings, grounds, life support systems, equipment, vehicles, and mechanical/electrical systems.
- Coordinate and provide oversight for work performed by outside contractors.
- Coordinate O&M activities with other departments to facilitate efficient repair/improvement tasks with minimal interference to guest experience or animal access to exhibit habitats.
- Collaborate with Queens Zoo staff to ensure preventive maintenance, work orders, and other requests are completed on time.
- Manage shop inventory and custodial supply inventory (with Supervising Attendant).
- Assist Manager in purchasing. Research product information as directed; initiate Purchase Requisitions/Orders and approve vendor payments for O&M purchases when the Manager is unavailable or as assigned by Manager.
- Performs daily site inspections of the zoo facility for cleanliness, safety conditions, facilities maintenance and systems.
- Assist Manager with employee recruitment, training, and performance management.
- Professionally represent WCS, establish and maintain positive, effective working relationships with employees, colleagues, City and other government agencies, outside contractors, and the general public.
- Actively support, advance, and uphold the Society’s Equal Employment Opportunity and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion policies.
- Complete other duties as assigned by Manager.
Salary Range: $54,000 – $63,000
Benefits and Perks: (15) Vacation Days, (13) Holidays, (12) Paid-Time-Off, Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, $3200 tuition reimbursement, access to parks, zoos, and aquarium, discounts on merchandise and food, plus much more…
WCS is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for future team members who share that same value. EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled