Assistant Supervisor Maintenance
Start Date: 9/1/2022 Compensation: $58,500
About Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS):
WCS stands for wildlife and wild places. As the world’s premier wildlife conservation organization, WCS has a long track record of achieving innovative, impactful results at scale. We run field programs spanning 60 countries and the entire ocean. We build on a unique foundation: Our reach is global; we discover through best-in-class science; we protect through work on the ground with local and indigenous people; we inspire through our world-class zoos, aquarium, and education programs; and we leverage our resources through partnerships and powerful policy influence. Our more than 4,000 diverse, passionately committed team members in New York City and around the world work collectively to achieve our conservation mission.
The Opportunity: To effectively and efficiently assist in managing the 7 day a week operation of the Bronx Zoo Maintenance department and its assets, providing a clean, safe environment for all staff, volunteers and guests. Provide in the field supervisory support ensuring the cleanliness and appearance of the park’s 265 acres, both public areas and off exhibit areas. To contribute effectively creating the best possible guest experience for those visiting the zoo. With the department Supervisor, this position oversees the day-to-day operation of the field maintenance operations and is responsible to lead daily operations of department in absence of senior managers.
Your responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Perform and direct subordinates in removal of debris from pathways, trash collection, grass cutting, snowplowing, and all required maintenance activities in the park.
- Communicate and coordinate work as appropriate with curators, managers and supervisors in other departments to guarantee the desired appearance of the park, exhibits, buildings and grounds in general.
- Maintain the Society’s standards for quality and professionalism and enhanced guest experience throughout the park, its facilities, buildings and exhibits.
- Assist in the supervision of the Garage operations and custodial operations of the department. Monitor, inspect and supervise staff in locations throughout the zoo to ensure the proper operations of Attendants and cleanliness of comfort stations, exhibit and office buildings and grounds.
- Coordinate departmental activities in the absence of the Supervisor.
- Represent Maintenance department at internal/external meetings and with vendors as directed by the Director/ Supervisor.
- Monitor the operation of all department functions by daily inspections of ALL job sites and the performance of all regular and ongoing department tasks.
- With the Director/ Supervisor, schedule employees and coordinate work during unusual weather conditions or for special events.
- Prepare and submit purchase orders for supplies and materials as needed.
- Work with the Director/Supervisor responsible manage department resources and work within the fiscal budget.
- This is an in-the-field supervisory position.
- This person will spend at least 80% of their day out of the office, on zoo grounds, inspecting facilities and jobs, monitoring 20+ employees and generally supervising the field maintenance operations of the department, including noting areas and items requiring repair and/or maintenance.
- In-office administrative duties are limited to the checking of and responding to emails, scheduling of employees, the distribution of work assignments, ordering supplies and work orders for repairs, attending department or other meetings and preparing and issuing, if necessary, disciplinary and performance corrective actions to both full time and seasonal employees.
- Must be a team leader and team builder, able to direct multiple activities at once, providing supervision, guidance and follow-up as necessary; this person has the responsibility for running the daily operations of the department in the absence of the Director, Supervisor or other managers.
- Must have the ability to prioritize jobs and work assignments.
- Must be able to work effectively with other departments in carrying out the principal functions of the Maintenance department.
- Must be committed to creating and maintaining a positive guest experience throughout the Bronx Zoo.
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License; CDL preferable.
- Familiarity with operating and maintaining tractors, backhoes, loaders, etc. preferred.
- Must have basic knowledge of computers and computer programs, including, but not limited to Microsoft Word and Excel to maintain departmental records.
- Must hold a High School diploma or GED.
- The candidate must, within six months of hiring, attain a P15 and UST A&B certifications.
- This position requires ability to work in varied environments, including all weather conditions.
- This position is considered essential; in addition to working before, during and after emergency situations, including all weather emergencies and all snowfall events, this person must be available to work weekends and holidays; one weekend day will be required, with one weekend day and one weekday as regular days off.
- Perks: 18 Vacation Days, 13 Holidays, and 12 PTO
WCS is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for future team members who share that same value. EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled