Ball field Technician (Seasonal)
The Prospect Park Alliance is currently seeking a Ball field Technician to maintain the athletic fields in Prospect Park. This position will report directly to the Turf Crew Supervisor.
The schedule for this position is 40 hours a week, including weekends. Rate of pay is $15.00 per hour
The Prospect Park Alliance is a non-profit organization that sustains, restores and advances Prospect Park for the benefit of diverse communities, in partnership with the City of New York. Prospect Park is Brooklyn’s flagship park and a National Historic Landmark, designed by Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux. The Alliance cares for the natural environment, preserves historic design and serves the community by providing public programming and Park amenities for the Park, which receives more than 10 million visits each year. The Alliance’s work in historic preservation and park revitalization is nationally recognized.
Prospect Park Alliance is an equal opportunity employer committed to making diversity as much a part of its everyday operations as it is a part of its mission and values. The Alliance is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
- General maintenance of 7 ball fields and the surrounding areas/zone.
- Operate and maintain various vehicles including but not limited to Sandpro infield groomer, John Deere Gator, Toro Workman, Toro Groundsmaster mower, electric Gem car, Ford pick-up truck.
- Operate and maintain various power tools such as weed whackers, blowers, lawnmowers, ballfield gas pumps, hand pumps, rototillers, and pressure washer.
- Daily maintenance of all vehicles, equipment and storage containers.
- Daily cleaning of dugouts, infields, outfields, and lawn areas.
- Maintain clay infields with Sandpro infield groomer as well as hand grooming when necessary.
- Maintain and weed whack dugout, backstop, renovation and donor tree fencing.
- Pump excess water due to poor drainage from fields after rainfall.
- Painting, minor repairs, graffiti removal, and weed whacking around benches, signage, and light posts.
- Level field surfaces by filling in holes created by dogs, metal detectors, and drainage issues.
- Assist with lawn renovations, seeding, top-dressing, etc.
- Install, maintain, and remove lawn renovation fences.
- Assist crews from Turf, Landscape Management, and Maintenance and Operations when necessary for emergencies, special events, and special projects.
- Interact with the public to help resolve ball field permit issues and to answer General Park questions.
- Supervise various seasonal work forces in ball field-related projects.
- Will be trained in-house to operate various equipment.
- Valid New York State Driver’s License.
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- 1-2 years’ experience in turf/landscape management.
- Basic working knowledge of small and large engines and equipment upkeep.
- Must possess physical capacity and mobility to lift and operate heavy tools, equipment and machinery to accomplish essential work tasks
Prospect Park Alliance
Website: Apply Online