Brooklyn Grange, the world's leading soil-based rooftop farming business, seeks an organized, detail-oriented Bookkeeper. The Bookkeeper will report to Brooklyn Grange’s Chief Financial Officer and will work year-round across Brooklyn Grange’s Brooklyn locations, but will be based mostly at the company’s Brooklyn Navy Yard headquarters.
The Bookkeeper will take ownership of all bookkeeping functions, ensuring that transaction level data is up to date, reconciled, and categorized correctly. This role is also responsible for the accuracy and completion of payroll each week, collaborating with the People Operations Manager to ensure all time cards and other payroll & benefit systems are up to date. The right candidate will have a keen eye for detail and accuracy in a dynamic and unique environment.
This position will entail around 40 hours of work each week, performed during regular business hours, Monday through Friday. While some tasks may be done remotely, the Bookkeeper is expected to have some on-site presence and will primarily work out of Brooklyn Grange’s headquarters in the Brooklyn Navy Yard.
- Handle all aspects of running payroll on a weekly schedule
- Maintain an accurate and up -to-date record of all financial transactions across three entities
- Responsible for tracking, collecting and entering Accounts Receivable
- Responsible for tracking & payment of Accounts Payable
- Lead monthly closing & reconciliation process, including intercompany transactions
- Prepare financial reports and statements for internal and external use
- Oversee expense management system: train employees, troubleshoot issues, ensure proper tagging of all transactions, approve reports
- File 1099 forms and sales tax reports; assist with annual business tax filing as needed
- Assist with management and reporting for insurance policies
- File and retrieve documents, records, and reports
- Assist with misc operations and special projects as needed
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Has at least 3 years of bookkeeping experience, preferably using Quickbooks Online. Plus: has experience bookkeeping across multiple entities
- Has basic accounting knowledge and understanding of accounting best practices
- Has experience preparing and understanding financial statements and reports
- Highly organized with excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Enjoys setting up systems and creating order
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Bonus: has familiarity with payroll systems and/or direct experience running payroll