Botanical Garden Attendant-Guard
Compensation: Hiring Rate: $31,481, Incumbent: $36,203, Max: $45,332
Under supervision, attends, cleans, guards, and patrols an assigned general area in a botanical garden; performs related work. Will perform work of ordinary difficulty in cleaning public buildings and their immediate grounds; performs related light labor duties; performs related work.
Examples of Typical Tasks
- Attends, performs various cleaning activities, guards and patrols an assigned general area in a botanical garden. As needed in order to maintain cleanliness in bathrooms and other public facilities, sweeps, damp mops and wet mops, empties wastebaskets, cleans washbasins and other toilet facilities, and replaces bathroom supplies. Responsible for more extensive cleaning or moving of chairs and tables during times of special or unpredictable events and emergencies. Picks up papers and other debris on the ground, removes graffiti and cleans signs, sweeps and washes sidewalks and washes lower portions of buildings with brush and hose; removes snow where necessary; replaces bulbs and fuses; moves furniture; performs related work.
- Is responsible for the protection of displays and/or display areas from loss or damage due to theft or vandalism, and for the protection of the botanical garden buildings, equipment, and exhibits. Responsible for proper notification of supervisors with regard to hazardous or unsecured conditions; filing incident reports.
- Meets the public, including school system classes and teachers attending botanical garden instruction programs, and advises on the location of displays, display areas, buildings and exhibits, or on the arrangements and directions for public instruction groups. Aids the public in cases of accidents or injuries.
- Maintains order in the area of assignment, and assists in the detection, ejection and/or apprehension of miscreants, undesirables and disorderly persons. Required to take appropriate action; notify supervisors; call police, fire department or ambulance.
- May check temperature readings in greenhouses.
- May operate passenger and freight elevators. May help with the delivery of packages or equipment to the receiving department.
- Graduation from a senior high school, or possession of a high school equivalency, or possession of an equivalent G.E.D. certificate issued by the armed forces; or
- Two (2) years of satisfactory, full-time paid experience in custodial, protection, attendance, or related work, including responsibility for meeting, advising, and directing the public; or
- A satisfactory equivalent
- Posses and maintain a valid Driver license; and
- New York State Security Guard Certification; and
- Weekend and/or evening work is required. Schedule may vary seasonally; and
- Certain medical and physical requirements; and
- Required to pass a written and/or practical test.
Appointments or Promotions
Appointments and/or promotions to positions of this class (Attendant Guard) are subject to personnel and administration policies and procedures of the botanical garden concerned, provided that all appointees must possess at least the qualifications listed above.
Note: Roman type is taken directly form city job descriptions. Italics added for clarification for Queens Botanical Garden staff.
Schedule: This position requires a 40 hours/week schedule Saturday and Sunday, 8am-4pm, Monday through Wednesday, 4pm-12am.
Benefits: This is a full-time Union position with benefits- including 15 days paid vacation which is earned on an accrued basis, health, participation in the DC37 Health & Security Plan and CIRS savings and pension plans.
Health & Safety: proof of full Covid-19 vaccination required for employment.
Queens Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). The Garden does not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, marital status, political affiliation, gender expression, mental illness, socioeconomic status or background, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, predisposing genetic characteristic, immigration status, or any other legally protected status. Minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, please contact Human Resources via email email@example.com, phone 718-886-3800 x 203.