Chief of Staff to the Assistant Commissioner for Natural Resources & Planning ACRS
(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
The Environment and Planning (E&P) Division protects, restores, cares for, and expands New York City Parks, natural areas, and tree canopy to maximize benefits for environmental and community health and resilience. The Natural Resources Group within the division manages, protects, and restores the natural areas of the NYC Parks’ system. Parks Planning within the division is at the forefront of Parks’ open space agenda, advancing policy and plans for a vibrant, equitable, and sustainable park system that meets recreational, social, and environmental goals.
- Under the direction of the Assistant Commissioner for Natural Resources and Planning with wide latitude for independent judgment and initiative, work with the senior staff across the division to prioritize and support goals of the Natural Resources and Planning Groups.
- Manage the development and implementation of policies and procedures for standardization across the Natural Resources and Planning groups and other groups in the division, including written standards, guides, and related products.
- Coordinate and direct incoming requests that relate to multiple teams and programs and support decision-making by assuring communication between division senior staff and other divisions and agencies.
- Prepare material for significant meetings and regular reporting deadlines and handle follow-up for resulting work and decisions, including setting up processes and compiling and coordinating responses for consistency.
- Prepare or oversee the preparation of complex reports, such as staffing analyses, performance indicators, and others. Utilize data to inform policy and process improvements, collaborating with the division’s Data Systems & Analytics team and other staff and managers as appropriate.
- Identify emerging issues and conduct analyses to support decision making. This includes assessing budget or policy changes that could impact division goals, programs or projects, preparing funding requests and budgets, and assessing and helping secure technical or administrative support.
- Coordinate day-to-day operations, and interact with regulatory, legal, capital, and budget divisions within the agency as well as outside agencies to advance projects and initiatives.
- Manage or respond to interagency or City Hall initiatives, such as climate strategies and resiliency programs, land use changes, and other mayoral priorities. Develop, implement, manage, and track complex and special projects.
- Compile, analyze, and assess best ways to present data relating to park assets and natural resources.
- Serve as agency liaison when needed for the division. Represent the Assistant Commissioner, the Agency and the division at meetings, hearings, conferences, and other venues with other related city, state, federal, non-profit partners and members of the public.
* This vacancy is only open to 1) current permanent city employees serving in the Administrative Community Relations Specialist civil service title or 2) on leave from the title or 3) permanent city employees in or on leave from a comparable title or 4) employees who are reachable on a comparable civil service list.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required within 90 days of hire for all other candidates.
1. Demonstrated accomplishments in independent, strategic management and proven track record of goal-based accomplishments.
2. Detailed knowledge of agency structure and government operations; understanding of the mission and business of urban parks planning and natural resource management
3. Excellent administrative, supervisory, analytical, technical, writing and proof-reading skills.
4. Excellent project-management skills, including organization, discipline, attention to detail, and follow-up.
5. Excellent communications skills and expertise in communicating relevant messages to right audience, including technical information.
6. Maturity, and situational sensitivity.
7. Valid New York State driver license.
How to Apply
1) From a Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) from the Parks Intranet under Applications or use this link:
https://hrb.nycaps.nycnet/. Once in ESS, go to Careers and search for Job ID# 584095. Do not access ESS using nyc.gov/ess from
a Parks computer.
Parks & City Employees:
2) From a Non-Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) by going to nyc.gov/ess or use this link:
https://a127-ess.nyc.gov/. Once in ESS, go to Careers and search for Job ID# 584095.
Include your ERN and Job ID# 584095 on your cover letter and resume.
All other applicants:
Click here to apply: Chief of Staff to the Assistant Commissioner for Natural Resources & Planning OR
Go to nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID# 584095.
Website: Apply Online