Part-time Compost Associate
We are looking for a highly dedicated, dependable staff person to operate our booths at Greenmarkets and support our compost operations. The Compost Associate is responsible for setting up and breaking down the market booth and selling products during hours of operation (compost and potting soil). The Associate also oversees our food scrap drop-off site at the market where we collect as much as 5,000 lbs of food scraps each day. On days when not operating the market booth, you can expect to support our compost program as needed. You should equally enjoy communicating with the public about composting, getting your hands dirty and working within a small compost operations team.
- Manage our booth at Union Square Greenmarket and Tompkins Square Greenmarket
- Oversee and record sales of compost and potting soil.
- Publicly represent the organization and answer questions from the public about our programs and overall recycling and sustainability
- Operate food scrap drop-off sites. This includes setting up and breaking down a collection site.
- Driving any one of our vehicles which include a cargo van, 20’ box trucks and a dump truck
- Manage volunteers who help out at the drop-off sites
- Assist with the operations of food scrap drop-off sites as needed
- Perform additional duties as determined by the Ecology Center
- Reliable and committed to punctuality
- Brings a team player attitude: collaborative, strong communication, flexibility and problem solving skills
- Valid Driver’s License and comfort driving large vans and trucks in NYC
- Enthusiasm to work outdoors in all seasons and on weekends
- Ability to perform physically strenuous tasks such as lifting up to 60 lbs, maneuver rolling toter carts weighing up to 350 lbs and other such tasks
- Passionate and knowledgeable about composting and sustainability
- Self-motivated and the ability to work alone, in a team, and in a variety of settings.
- Comfortable with coordinating operations with the rest of the team through email, slack and telephone communication
- Bilingual skills, a plus
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This is a part-time position with an average of 16-25 hours/week, $22/hr.
The ideal candidate should be available to work both weekdays and weekends and have relative flexibility to adapt to changing schedule needs. The schedule could look something like this: Sunday 7:00am-6:00pm, Tuesday 8:30am-12:00pm, Wednesday 9:00am-1:00pm.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified candidates should submit a resume and cover letter that addresses why you’re interested in the position, how your experiences relate to the job responsibilities, and why you would like to work for the Ecology Center. Please confirm that you have a driver's license in your application.
Application materials should be combined into a single pdf file and sent to email@example.com with “Compost Associate - YOUR NAME” in the subject line.
Deadline to apply: June 12, 2023
No phone calls please.
The Lower East Side Ecology Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnic origin, national origin, creed, religion, political belief, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, veteran status, or physical or mental disability.