Crew leader - garden installation & maintenance
Start Date: March/April 2023 Compensation: $35 - $50/hr
Huntergreen is a small, full-service garden design/build company based in Brooklyn.
(hardscaping experience a plus)
We create elegant gardens and outdoor spaces and work with an awesome team of gardeners, builders, and craftspeople to build and maintain our projects. We're a hardworking, easy-going, tight-knit diverse crew that take pride in our work because we love what we do. We are looking for someone to head up our day-to-day operations for the 2023 season who can play the lead role in the building and maintenance of our garden spaces and the management and guidance of our on-site teams.
This crew lead should have expert knowledge of planting and landscaping, experience in either masonry and/or carpentry, and experience managing assistants. They should be a hardworking team player, great communicator, and leader with a strong sense of design. A problem solver who is happy to handle whatever needs to be done on a job from overseeing outside contractors to sweeping up after.
Opportunities to grow with us and shape the position as we move into 2023. A vehicle for daily use transporting people and tools is a big plus and will be compensated.
- Work with owner/designer to implement all aspects of a design from site analysis, plant buying, site excavation, hauling, building and laying stone (when needed), setting up irrigation, planting, and deliveries.
- Lead projects ranging from installations to garden maintenance visits.
- Manage 1-4 people on a daily basis keeping things well executed, morale high, the clients happy and keeping projects on deadline
- Help with client communication and scheduling work
- Install, maintain and troubleshoot simple irrigation systems
- Coordinate deliveries and removals on job sites
- Assist with plant-buying trips to Long Island nurseries, including driving
- Keep track of daily expenses and submitting time sheets
- Strong work ethic, able to work the occasional weekend during the high season in all types of weather
- Horticultural/landscaping knowledge and experience
- Can perform basic outdoor construction/installation tasks
- Experience laying patios or outdoor carpentry is a plus
- Experience installing irrigation is also a plus, but willing to teach
- Strong enough to lift 50 lbs: demo bags, pavers, or potted trees
- Excellent communication skills and 3+ years of leading teams
- While this is an hourly position based on our 2023 job load, in years past, this person worked year-round, 5 days a week.
- Flexible schedule
- Can help subsidize a work vehicle