Brooklyn Greenway Initiative (BGI) seeks a Development Manager to increase and diversify funding toward the development, establishment, and stewardship of the Brooklyn Waterfront Greenway as a critical connector to a greener, stronger, healthier Brooklyn. The Manager will support the Executive Director and Board of Directors in all fundraising efforts and serve as the organization’s point person for all development-related functions. The successful Manager will be a dynamic and integral member of the team who helps expand organizational capacity and increase our operating budget by 25% over the next two years.
BGI is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization committed to the development, establishment and long-term stewardship of the Brooklyn Waterfront Greenway – a 26-mile protected and landscaped trail for people of all ages and abilities that, when complete, will connect Brooklyn’s storied and iconic waterfront, parks and open space, commercial and cultural corridors, and new innovation hubs and job centers for 2.65 million Brooklyn residents, over 1.1 million employees in Brooklyn, and 15 million annual visitors from across the City and around the world. Since its founding in 2004, BGI has channeled more than $218 million in public and private investment toward implementation of the Greenway, leveraged $2.38 million of public and private support toward the creation of the Naval Cemetery Landscape as contemplative memorial green space at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, and conceptualized or supported the development of other open spaces and public amenities along the Greenway. Approximately 18 miles of completed Greenway are currently in use, four segments are under construction, and two additional segments will break ground in 2020, leaving only a few remaining gaps to be connected.
The Manager will report directly to the Executive Director and collaborate with other team members (Staff and Board) whose work integrates with fundraising, development, and external affairs. The Manager will focus attention on the primary goal of increasing revenues by 25% over the next two years, diversifying and expanding revenue streams in the process. Specific responsibilities of the Development Manager position include:
- Provide direct support to the Executive Director in all development-related initiatives
- Write letters of inquiry, concept papers, proposals, reports, and other materials for current and prospective supporters
- Create visual presentations such as sponsorship decks, pitch documents, and program reports
- Conduct prospect research and write detailed meeting preparation summaries
- Produce monthly fundraising summaries and communicate upcoming development-related deadlines and opportunities
- Process all donations in Salesforce and write thank you notes focused on continued cultivation
- Support BGI events to maximize donor cultivation, including invitation list generation and distribution, on-site fundraising and donor cultivation, donations tracking, & follow up
- Support writing and copy editing for BGI-wide materials, including marketing collateral, annual report, and other communications
- Represent the ED and BGI at large in meetings with prospective and current supporters, partners, and peers
- As part of a small team, the Development Manager will also support organizational operations overall, including administrative, communications/marketing, program/event, and other related tasks.
- you’re a strong writer, geek out on grammar and writing style, and a superstar when it comes to creating compelling collateral
- This job might be for you if…
- you’re a Salesforce whiz; expert enough to maximize its utility for BGI
- you love creating compelling visual presentations in PowerPoint or similar applications
- you’re hyper-organized and can juggle multiple priorities simultaneously, keeping yourself and the team on track with development-related deadlines
- you’re a skilled communicator who keeps your cool even in challenging situations; you can manage up and out to a small team
- you use the Brooklyn Waterfront Greenway and are excited about raising funds for BGI to realize its full potential
- you’re a goal-oriented strategic thinker; you’re energetic, self-motivated, and entrepreneurial
- you have a college degree and 2-5 years’ experience in a nonprofit development- or fundraising-focused role, preferably in a small scale or start-up environment where you had to generate and follow new leads, and are eager to shape your professional growth with BGI over the next 2+ years
- you’re interested in and follow trends in NYC’s evolving policy and practice around waterfront access and resiliency, multi-modal transportation, urban public realm planning and open space development, and environmental justice
Schedule and Salary Details
The Development Manager is a full-time, exempt, salaried position.
Schedule: Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm, with flexibility for occasional evening and weekend meetings, events, and other work-related engagements
Compensation: $50,000 – $55,000 annually, commensurate with experience. BGI also offers a modest benefits package as further compensation.
To apply for this position, please submit your résumé, a relevant sample of your writing, and a cover letter summarizing your interest in and fit for this opportunity to Terri Carta, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development Manager” in the subject line by January 15, 2020. We will contact only those individuals whose applications are being considered. No phone calls, please.
Brooklyn Greenway Initiative is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
Brooklyn Greenway Initiative