Director of Finance & Administration
Queens Botanical Garden is an urban oasis where people, plants and cultures are celebrated through inspiring gardens, innovative educational programs and demonstrations of environmental stewardship.
Queens Botanical Garden (QBG) is a private non-profit cultural institution located on 39 acres of New York City public land in Flushing, New York. Last year (FY18), the Garden served approximately 250,676 visitors, including 32,000 schoolchildren, and 48,215 through outreach efforts offsite. A recently completed visitor survey reveals that 45% of visitors speak a language other than English at home. This fact underscores the importance of the organization’s mission and the challenges and opportunities QBG faces daily in creating programs, exhibits and landscapes that serve the needs of people who live in and visit one of the most ethnically diverse counties in the nation. The Garden has committed itself to addressing the complex and ever changing needs of its diverse community and to being the place where people, plants and cultures meet.
The Director of Finance & Administration provides leadership in the assurance of a sound financial future and in managing daily fiscal and administrative operations.
Queens Botanical Garden has a $5.4 million operating budget (FY19) including half a million for special projects, 34 full-time and approximately 70 part-time and seasonal employees, 237 long-term individual and nearly 2,000 volunteers (FY18) who help with events and special projects. The Director works closely with the Board Finance Committee, which is a subset of the 15-member Board of Directors.
1. Managing financial operations including supervising accounting and bookkeeping functions, budgeting and reporting, payroll, cash, the annual audit, and tax filings, etc. The Director will also prepare materials for the Board Finance Committee and meetings of the full Board.
This hands-on position also includes:
- Maintaining appropriate system of internal controls
- Providing leadership in the development of policies, procedures, business and strategic planning and reporting
- Assuring compliance with federal, state and local tax filings and regulations
- Preparing ad-hoc budgets and reports in conjunction with other staff as needed
2. Supervising administration, human resources and technology functions, including coordinating benefits, office equipment and systems, insurance and their respective contractors/consultants, and the Volunteer Program.
• Providing leadership and oversight for technology systems and development
3. Supervising Visitor Services/Business Operations including admissions, parking, QBG Store, rentals and concessions, visitor reception and related areas, creating more of a sales approach to encourage utilization of QBG facilities and services.
Overseeing data tracking, the recording of facility usage organization-wide
- The Director is also responsible for:
- Managing appropriate contracts (computer services, payroll, insurance, rentals, maintenance, etc.) and credit card processing
- Assisting with Garden-wide initiatives.
To apply, submit your resume and cover letter via our applicant portal at
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance or a related area with sufficient non-profit experience; Master’s degree and/or CPA preferred
- Minimum seven years of progressively increasing experience and success in finance, human resources and/or business with non-profit experience strongly preferred
- Computer literacy; software currently in use includes FundEZ, Microsoft Office, Beyond Pay, Counterpoint (POS) and Donor Perfect
- Excellent interpersonal, consensus-building, organizational, communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work with various people with diverse skills while keeping both the detail and the larger context in view.
Queens Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). The Garden does not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, marital status, political affiliation, gender expression, mental illness, socioeconomic status or background, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, predisposing genetic characteristic, immigration status, or any other legally protected status. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Queens Botanical Garden