Director of Finance & Administration
Start Date: 11/22/2021
Queens Botanical Garden is an urban oasis where people, plants and cultures are celebrated through inspiring gardens, innovative educational programs, and demonstrations of environmental stewardship.
Queens Botanical Garden (QBG) is a private non-profit cultural institution located on 39 acres of New York City public land in Flushing, New York. In FY20, the Garden served 164,546 visitors, including 14,378 schoolchildren. A recently completed visitor survey reveals that 45% of visitors speak a language other than English at home. This fact underscores the importance of the mission and the challenges and opportunities QBG faces daily in creating programs, exhibits and landscapes that serve the needs of people who live in and visit one of the most ethnically diverse counties in the nation. The Garden has committed itself to addressing the complex and ever-changing needs of its diverse community and to being the place where people, plants, and cultures meet.
Financial Management Human Resources, IT and Administration
- Manage the day-to-day finance and accounting function for the organization (general ledger, accounts payable and receivable, cash disbursements and receipts, purchasing, payroll, bank reconciliations and cost allocations)
- Monitor cash flow and investment account balances and manage banking relationships; provide forecasting
- Prepare monthly financial reports for department managers, senior staff, Finance Committee and Board with related analysis and forecasting
- Prepare financial reports for grants and other ad-hoc reporting as needed
- Interface with external auditors and manage and lead the annual audit process and tax filings (IRS Forms 990, 990-T and NYS CHAR500)
- Manage the annual budgeting and planning process; monitor progress and changes
- Update and implement all necessary internal control policies and accounting practices
- Ensure compliance with applicable financial and accounting standards, government regulations, and with public and private funding sources
- Support financial systems used in earned revenue operations related to admissions, QBG Store, facilities rentals, and public programming
- Contracts management and financial management; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operations.
- Provide leadership in development of policies, procedures, business and strategic planning and reporting
- Oversee payroll, compensation, benefits, and employee recruitment and onboarding process
- Further develop human resources and administration, enhancing professional development, compensation and benefits, performance evaluation, training, recruiting and staff development
- Manage the organization’s insurance policies and risk program
- Provide leadership and oversight for technology systems including interfacing with outsourced IT support provider and IT infrastructure
- Oversee general office management and administrative functions to ensure efficient and consistent operations as the organization scales
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance with sufficient nonprofit experience; MBA and/or CPA preferred.
- Minimum seven years of progressively increasing experience and success in accounting or finance with nonprofit experience strongly preferred
- Experience in Human Resources oversight
- Experience in Grants Management and reporting preferred
- Advanced skills in relevant accounting, financial and office applications. Software currently in use includes FundEZ, QuickBooks Online, Zoho, Microsoft Office, BeyondPay
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with vendors
- Excellent interpersonal, consensus-building, organizational, communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work with various people with diverse skills while keeping both the detail and the larger context in view
- Experience managing a small team
For consideration, please submit your resume, cover letter, and any relevant documents via our recruitment portal. If you encounter difficulties with uploading documents to the portal, please send via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Health & Safety: proof of Covid-19 vaccination required for employment.
Queens Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). The Garden does not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, marital status, political affiliation, gender expression, mental illness, socioeconomic status or background, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, predisposing genetic characteristic, immigration status, or any other legally protected status. Minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, please contact Human Resources via email at email@example.com.