Director of Horticulture
The Director of Horticulture (DOH) position is a great opportunity to assume a leadership role in our Operations Team. It is ideally suited for any trained horticulturist who has a strong foundation in garden & container design, a firm understanding of production principles, and enjoys working in a collaborative environment. The DOH recruits talented gardeners, researches progressive horticulture methodologies, and implements best practices across our maintenance division.
- Due to the breadth of our portfolio, the extensive regions we serve, and our highly collaborative environment any candidate for this position will need the following to excel in this role:
- All candidates will find that we offer a competitive salary and benefits package including medical, dental, life, and vision insurance coverage.
- An undergraduate and/or graduate degree in Horticulture or a related field.
- A minimum of five years experience successfully managing a team of people.
- The ability to use a variety of cloud computing tools for communication, organization and productivity.
Specifically, this is a wonderful opportunity for an excellent communicator who wants to do the following:
- Support the Account Management team in achieving consistent and efficient garden management and design across our portfolio.
- Train and empower lead gardeners so they can build and train their own teams.
- Work alongside the production team to create and enhance field protocols.
- Estimate and manage budgets for garden, container, and annual bed design as necessary.
- Build collaborative relationships with national and international institutions with the goal of strengthening the best practices and methodologies utilized by all field teams.
- Recruit horticulture field talent and internship candidates.
- Support our internship program by developing educational, experiential opportunities.
- Establish and maintain vendor relationships with regards to plant health, material, and design.
- Explore and implement ecological and sustainable management practice where possible in operations.
- Working knowledge of plant pathology and ability to identify pest and disease in ornamentals and turf grass.
- Travel to any of our regions (Cape Cod, Greater Boston, and Southern Rhode Island) for field work; garden and container design, installation, and maintenance; and client meetings.
Please send resume to Molly at firstname.lastname@example.org and Emily at email@example.com. Thank you!
Schumacher Companies, Inc.
Contact Name: Emily Admirand