Start Date: May 19 Compensation: $22/hour
Red Hook Farms, a project of Red Hook Initiative, is a youth-centered urban farming and food justice program in Red Hook, Brooklyn. We create opportunities for teens to expand their knowledge base, develop their leadership skills, and positively engage with each other, their community, and the environment. We operate two urban farm sites, and our programs include a teen farm apprenticeship, three weekly farm stands, a CSA and Fresh Food Box, and a school workshop program. We strive to improve access to healthy, affordable produce, while nurturing a new generation of green leaders.
Position Overview: The Distribution Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating our 2 weekly farm stands, 2 weekly CSA distributions, 1 weekly Food Box, and ongoing wholesale distribution. All programs launch in mid-June, with pre-season hours focusing on doing outreach to sign up members: flyering, attending meetings, email campaigns, etc. Once the season launches, the Distribution Coordinator handles supplemental produce orders, maintains sign-up lists, collects weekly payments, organizes paperwork, facilitates membership emails with the CSA, and communicates with the farm team regarding harvest numbers. They manage all the logistics of each of the distributions, including set-up and break-down (some of which run concurrently). Outreach will continue throughout the season to maintain membership in the Food Box program.
- Pre-season and ongoing outreach, including flyering, emails, and in-person visits to local businesses, daycares, community and recreation centers, as well as housing developments.
- Organize CSA membership binders in advance of first distribution; keep binders updated with payment and volunteer information for each member.
- Manage 2 weekly CSA distributions (Wednesdays and Saturdays): load and drive van for off-site distribution, set up tents and tables, arrange vegetables, assist members in collecting their vegetable share, and clean up. Supervise staff and volunteers supporting with distribution.
- Manage 2 weekly farm stands (Wednesdays and Saturdays): load and drive van for off-site distribution, set-up tents and tables, supervise youth staff, assist farm stand shoppers, review and submit end-of-day logs.
- Manage 1 weekly Food Box distribution (Thursdays): load and drive van for off-site distribution, set up tents and tables, arrange vegetables, assist members in collecting their vegetable share, and clean up. Supervise staff and volunteers supporting with distribution.
- Collect Food Box weekly payments and maintain weekly sign-up records; communicate Food Box sign-up numbers with farm team weekly for harvest totals.
- Coordinate with Farm Manager for regular wholesale deliveries to local supermarkets.
- Update weekly availability and price lists for farm stands.
- Email CSA core group weekly with upcoming produce.
- Support special events, such as the annual Harvest Festival.
- Update social media (Facebook, Instagram) weekly with 1-2 distribution photos.
- Other related tasks as necessary.
- 2-3 years experience working in farming, farmers markets, or other related experience;
- Commitment to social justice;
- Ability to work collaboratively with those from various racial, ethnic, religious, and socio-economic backgrounds;
- Outgoing, positive attitude, able to effectively engage with community members;
- Attention to detail, especially in record-keeping;
- Can effectively juggle multiple programs;
- Ability to work independently and problem-solve on the fly;
- Comfortable using Microsoft suite and Google Drive;
- Able to lift 20 pounds, work outdoors, and in inclement weather;
- MUST have a valid driver’s license and be comfortable driving a cargo van in NYC.
- Experience working with teens;
- Social media savvy, particularly Instagram and Facebook;
- Familiarity with Red Hook community as well as NYC urban agriculture community;
- Conversational Spanish or Mandarin.
To apply: Email resume and cover letter in a single pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Distribution Coordinator” in the subject line. Interviews will be scheduled as applications are received. No calls please.