District Landscape Manager, Operations
The Alliance for Downtown New York manages the Downtown-Lower Manhattan Business Improvement District (BID) serving an area roughly from City Hall to the Battery, from the East River to West Street. We provide a host of services, including supplemental sanitation and security, economic development, streetscape and transportation improvements, marketing and enhanced tourist services. The mission of the Alliance for Downtown New York is to provide service, advocacy, research and information to advance Lower Manhattan as a global model of a 21st century Central Business District for businesses, residents and visitors. As part of its supplemental services, the Alliance maintains planted areas across nine public spaces in Lower Manhattan.
The Alliance for Downtown New York seeks applicants for the full-time position of District Landscape Manager in the Operations Department. While the position is open to candidates seeking year-round full-time employment, due to the highly seasonal nature of the work involved, the position could also be ideal for candidates seeking full-time seasonal work from March to November. A reduced work schedule may also be arranged in the winter if desired. Reporting to the Vice President of Operations, the District Landscape Manager will be responsible for overseeing landscaping operations across nine public plazas and parks, which includes caring for planted areas and over 140 planters, as well as upholding the quality of our public spaces.
The Alliance for Downtown New York, Inc. offers a very competitive benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance, 401k plan, commuter benefit, life insurance, long term disability insurance, tuition assistance, paid time off, and Citibike membership. Salary will be commensurate with experience. This position is eligible for overtime under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act for any hours worked over 40 in a workweek. Employees accrue sick leave at the rate of one hour for every 30 hours worked, up to a maximum of 40 hours of sick leave per calendar year.
The Alliance for Downtown New York is an equal opportunity employer. For more information about the scope of our work, please consult www.downtownny.com.
- Oversee plant care and landscape maintenance, including: weeding, watering, pruning, mowing, and leaf blowing
- Regularly inspect and coordinate the maintenance of public space amenities, including park signs, trash receptacles, benches, solar phone chargers, tables and chairs, etc.
- Keep detailed records and provide status reports on plant health and care, as well as public space maintenance activities
- Work with the VP of Operations, Sanitation division, Sanitation Maintenance Staff, and relevant city agencies (i.e. NYC Parks, NYC DOT) to resolve any cleanliness and maintenance issues in the public spaces
- Assist in table and chair set ups throughout the site, park openings and closings, and daily removal of trash
- Coordinate with, and provide oversight of the landscaping contractor(s)
- Assist in the landscaping budget, draft and oversee landscape-related contracts, and process
- Drive offsite to purchase equipment and supplies
- Other duties as may be assigned
- Candidate must be vaccinated for Covid and show proof of vaccination prior to hire.
- At least one year of experience in landscape and/or parks management, horticulture, or related field, with at least one year of experience managing staff
- Ability to work in both a standard office environment and out in the field, as well as a willingness to work in inclement weather as necessary
- Must be able to follow directions and work independently
- Dependable, organized, with an excellent work ethic
- Knowledge of and ability to operate hand mowers, leaf blowers, and other lawn equipment
- Ability to communicate with a diverse set of people, including supervisory and maintenance staff, contractors, BID constituents and city agencies
- Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs
- Proficiency in Google Docs and Sheets
- Valid drivers’ license
TO APPLY: No phone calls. Please send applications, including a cover letter to 20462C9018@jobs.workablemail.com
Alliance for Downtown New York, Inc.