Eco Zone Gardener (9 month Seasonal)
Compensation: $20 to $25 per hour
The Eco Zone Gardener upholds and implements the policies and standards for ecological restoration and sustainable ecological horticulture in Prospect Park as set forth by the Landscape Management team. The Eco Zone Gardener is responsible for making sure their assigned zones are clean, safe, and beautiful.
Restoration & Maintenance of Park Landscapes
- Participate in vegetation control in all areas of the park by hand-pulling, using power tools, and assisting with and/or overseeing herbicide application
- Prepare and maintain planting sites by clearing and removing debris, raking and leveling soil, implementing erosion control techniques, and/or digging holes
- Prune trees and shrubs as required for project goals, safety, and aesthetics
- Cut, clear, and remove debris in landscape as a result of storms or general tree aging
- Plant and/or seed prepared areas
- Install, maintain, and/or remove fencing, woodchips, signage, and rustic rails
- Remove litter and clear blocked drains
- Remove hazards in the park and/or mitigates hazardous situations
- Assist crews from LMO and M&O when necessary for emergencies, special events or special projects
- Remove snow from assigned areas as needed
Planning & Documentation of Park Landscape Work
- Complete zone survey on a regular basis and, in consultation with the Supervisor, make plans for upcoming work
- Record daily records of work completed and time in/time out and works with Supervisor to make sure these are entered into the work tracking database
- Record on a regular basis progress towards goals laid out in zone surveys
Vehicle, Equipment, Tool, & Workspace Operation & Maintenance
- Operate vehicles (e.g., truck, utility vehicle, tractor), power equipment (e.g., chainsaw, string trimmer, mower, brush hog, woodchipper, and hedge trimmer), and various hand tools safely
- Keep an inventory of tools and equipment and communicate with supervisor about additional tool and equipment needs
- Maintain vehicles, tools, equipment, and shared workspaces as per standards set out by supervisor; communicate issues with vehicle, tool, and equipment safety to supervisor as they arise
- Facilitate science in the park by coordinating with students, schools, universities, and governmental organizations
- Travel to various parts of the Park as needed to carry out duties
- Work with Deputy Director to train people on more dangerous or complicated equipment tools and equipment such as chainsaw, chipper, tractor, and weed harvester
Volunteer Management & Public Engagement
- Coordinate, track, lead, and document work completed by volunteers and interns in Prospect Park
- Interact with the public to help resolve issues, provide information, and answer general park questions
Performs other job-related duties and functions as assigned
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Two-year college degree in Biology, Ecology, Forestry, Natural Resource Management, Fisheries related field, or Certificate in Horticulture
- A minimum of one (1) to three (3) year landscape management and ecological restoration experience in a public park setting; or a minimum of two (2) years’ experience without a degree
- A valid Driver’s License
- A NYS Pesticide Applicator or Technician License preferred
COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skills & Personal Attributes)
- Passion for the Alliance Mission & Core Values: A passion for public parks and environmental conservation combined with a commitment to treating others with respect, appreciating individual differences and embracing the values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Ethics & Integrity: Earns the trust and respect of others through a consistent commitment to integrity, honesty and professionalism in all interactions.
- Landscape Management Knowledge: Proficient in plant identification for northeast US region, use of landscape tools, experience with ecological restoration and/or sustainable ecological horticulture. Proper planting and pruning techniques.
- Machinery Operation: Competence in mechanized equipment and safe vehicle operation is essential. The ability to safely operate and maintain various groundskeeping vehicles and equipment including but not limited to infield groomers, utility vehicles, weed whackers and riding and push lawn mowers is required. A general understanding of ballfield maintenance.
- Health and Safety Comply with relevant health and safety legislation and regulation and organizational policies. Manages risk including the identification of hazards, assessment of risks and implementation of control measures. Manages own safety and that of others.
- Customer Service: Exhibits a strong commitment to delivering excellent, responsive and friendly customer service to patrons and park visitors.
- Results and Impact Focus: Ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and highly motivated to consistently produce high quality work and achieve desired outcomes and results.
- Decision Making & Problem Solving: Alerts others to possible problems in a timely fashion. Seeks support to solve problems. Offers possible solutions. Acts on solutions selected and decisions made as directed.
- Self-Management: Ability to work independently or as a member of the team, ability to be detailed-oriented, and ability to manage stress effectively in a fast-pace environment.
- Collaboration & Teamwork: Committed to working in collaboration with others, promoting cooperation and commitment to others and being a positive team contributor.
- Communication: Superior verbal communication skills with the ability to positively engage with and impart key information to members of the public.
- Technology: Proficient with automated technologies that support area of responsibility including G-Suite and Microsoft Office Suite.
Diversity Makes Us Stronger Together: Prospect Park Alliance serves park users of all socio-economic and cultural backgrounds and strives to reflect this diversity throughout our operations and in our leadership, staff, stakeholders and supporters. We know that by creating an equitable and inclusive workplace built on mutual respect and the appreciation of difference, our employees will feel safe to express themselves, voice their opinions and work together to find common ground and solutions. Integral to this vision is our longstanding commitment to provide equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment.
Prospect Park Alliance
Website: Apply Online