Ecological Gardening Assistant
Start Date: April Compensation: $15/hr - $30/hr Depending on experience
This position is to assist a land steward, managing and developing gardens, on a 17 acre shorefront property in Maine. The ideal candidate has experience gardening or landscaping, but wants to broaden it by working in a sustainably managed landscape on diverse and unusual projects.
Though a private property, this is unlike usual estate garden management in that the goal is a long-term, ecologically healthy landscape that is also productive. Operations are rooted in permaculture ethics. Resources are reused or sourced from the property whenever possible. Perennial plantings are either edible, medicinally useful, or benefit the ecosystem. Day to day tasks are therefore similar to usual gardening tasks, but prioritized toward long-term establishment of the landscape. A unique horticultural learning opportunity for the right person.
Part time and Full time arrangements are both possible; the most important thing is a candidate who is a good fit, who will commit to a pre-determined arrangement for the entirety of the season. April through Sept/October.
- Maintain perennial gardens, native tree/shrubs, and small annuals/vegetable plantings: Weeding, mulching in various forms, transplanting, fertilizing, watering.
- Help develop and expand a food forest, a pollinator garden and bog area: Prepping ground, planting, transplanting, dividing, seeding, mulching
- Maintain compost operations: Collecting seaweed, managing worm bins, turning piles with a tractor.
- Help manage pathways and deer fencing
- Solid and demonstrated experience working with plants in some capacity.
- Ability to lift 50lbs and do manual labor in sometimes inclement weather, with mosquitos.
- Tractor, chainsaw and/or woodshop experience useful.
- Willingness to learn and practice IPM techniques.
- Drivers license, reliable transportation and ability to secure own housing.
- Eagerness to learn and experiment.
To apply please email Josie with a resume and/or letter describing your experiences and qualifications, explaining your interest.
Spruce Ledge Estate
Phone: (347) 247 - 4791