Education and Outreach Coordinator
Start Date: Dec 1, 2023 Compensation: 50,000 - 58,000
The NYC Compost Project Hosted by LES Ecology Center seeks someone with a passion for composting and community engagement to join our team. This position is primarily responsible for providing compost education, public outreach and technical support to community compost sites. You will excel in this position if you’re a team player that is self-directed with a can-do attitude, someone who can easily juggle a varied set of tasks, and able to manage relationships with diverse community partners.
- Teach Master Composter classes and other compost education workshops
- Organize and facilitate Master Composter field trips and volunteer workdays. This includes activities such as tree care events, compost application and compost site maintenance.
- Support community groups that operate public food scrap drop-off sites with technical consultations, educational trainings, construction of compost systems and material/tool deliveries.
- Create content for monthly email newsletters
- Assist with compost distribution efforts
- Participate in public engagement events with community partners
- Track and record all relevant data monthly
- Perform additional duties as determined by the Ecology Center and by BRS
- Minimum of one year work experience related to community education
- Knowledge of and commitment to composting, sustainability and waste reduction
- Experience in teaching, public speaking, or community facilitation
- Ability to work with and effectively communicate with a wide range of audiences including: colleagues, community partners, volunteers, youth and adult participants, and the general public
- Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Enthusiasm to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Carry out physically demanding tasks and be comfortable handling items up to 50 pounds
- Flexibility to work on weekends and evenings. This could range from 1-3 weekend days each month.
- Comfortable using Mac OS, Microsoft Office, and Google Drive apps
- A valid driver’s license is required and willingness to drive on NYC streets
ADDITIONAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE PREFERRED
- At least two years of higher education experience (ideally, in a related field)
- Ability to speak multiple languages
- Demonstrated mentorship and leadership skills
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This is a full-time, salaried position. The salary range for the position is $50,000 to $58,000, commensurate with skills and experience. The Ecology Center contributes $880/month towards a health care plan and offers a 401K matching plan. New employees are offered 15 days of vacation, 5 personal days and 5 safe/sick days.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified candidates should submit a resume and cover letter that addresses why you’re interested in the position, how your experiences relate to the job responsibilities, and why you would like to work for the Ecology Center.
Application materials should be combined into a single pdf file and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Education and Outreach Coordinator - YOUR NAME” in the subject line.
Deadline to apply: Oct 30, 2023
No phone calls please.
The Lower East Side Ecology Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnic origin, national origin, creed, religion, political belief, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, veteran status, or physical or mental disability.
For more information about the NYC Compost Project please visit: www.nyc.gov/compostproject
For more information about the LES Ecology Center please visit: http://www.lesecologycenter.org