(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Under the direction of the Superintendent of Horticulture Education, the Horticultural Education Assistant assists with implementation & execution of horticultural programming at any designated horticultural educational facility for the benefit and enjoyment of a specific audience
Lead/Assist with a wide variety of horticultural programming including week‐long summer camp sessions, school field trips, scout programs, horticultural therapy, and gardening‐ based series, among other programs. This includes all aspects of programming including set up, supervision, clean up, adjusting activities to the needs of individual participants, maintaining discipline, evaluation, and communication with Senior Horticultural Program Specialist.
- Work effectively with parents of program participants, projecting a knowledgeable, confident, and positive image.
- Provide fun, educational, and safe experiences with assistance from other part‐time staff.
- Supervise adult and teen volunteers and seasonal horticultural educators.
- Assist with enhancing current curriculum and developing new lessons on various horticultural themes.
- Ensures that Park Commission policies and procedures regarding public access are followed.
- Adheres to established P.E.O.S.H.A. and Morris County Park Commission Safety Standards.
- Responds to emergency situations and patron accidents as instructed in Morris County Park Commission policy and procedures.
- Completes other tasks and projects as assigned.
- Degree in Horticulture, Natural Sciences, Education, or related field preferred.
- Minimum of one year of experience in presenting educational programs to children required.
- Knowledge of and passion for nature and gardening.
- Enthusiastic, outgoing, patient, and flexible when working with children and adults.
- Ability to work both independently and on a team with minimal supervision.
- Willingness to work outdoors in variable weather conditions.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, and holidays as required to meet the needs of and to provide continuity in the site’s functions.
- Possession of/or ability to obtain a valid New Jersey Driver's License.
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the position, with or without reasonable accommodation. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
28 hours per week. Flex schedule based on programming schedule.
Morris County Park Commission
Contact Name: Ann Fahey
Website: Apply Online