Education Center Manager
(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Start Date: 7/29/22 Compensation: $60,000-$65,000
The Horticultural Society of New York (The Hort) seeks an Education Center Manager (ECM) for The Greenhouse and Education Center (The Center) located in Denny Farrell Riverbank State Park (DFRSP) in Harlem, New York. The Center serves children, families, seniors, students, youth and other community members, providing a variety of classes, workshops, festivals and forums on environmental stewardship, family health and well-being, cooking and nutrition, and horticulture. The ECM will help to develop and conduct regular garden education classes for students, teachers, and seniors and help in the maintenance and operation of The Center. The ECM will also assist the Director of Education in planning and scheduling school-based programs that will take place at The Center. This full-time position reporting to the Deputy Director, is from Tuesdays through Saturdays
COORDINATION AND OUTREACH
- Maintain open, effective communication with Hort staff, New York State Parks staff and the extended community of teachers, parents, neighbors, community gardeners and park patrons.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local community, youth, senior and other neighborhood groups.
- Coordinate, schedule, promote and register our public, school and camp programs, including planning, scheduling, materials assembly, tool maintenance, and supply procurement.
- Work with Director of Education to plan and schedule school-based programs and document progress as needed.
- Maintain The Center’s budget and track weekly, monthly and quarterly expenditures, and grant deliverables in coordination with finance and grant requirements.
- Teach garden classes both in-person and remotely to an ethnically diverse, urban population.
- Lead garden and greenhouse tours for students of all ages.
- Maintain attendance and learning outcome records. -Develop and teach extracurricular programming, including after-school, family and weekend workshops.
- Assist with implementation of a high school farming and plant-based product development program.
- Develop lectures series, seasonal events, forums and conferences to take place at DFRSP.
- Assist Greenhouse & Garden Manager (GGM) in watering Greenhouse and Garden plants on Fridays and Saturdays.
- Working with GGM to develop plans and work schedules for any interns that will be working at the Education Center gardens.
- Working with the GGM to plan and execute all public programs happening at The Center.
- Handle and store all supplies and equipment properly in the classroom area.
- Ensure that the classroom and greenhouse areas are properly maintained.
- Other tasks not listed.
- Bachelor’s degree in education, arts management, business, or environmental science.
- A minimum of five years of significant management experience in developing and managing public programs
- A proven track record as a programmer noted for broad audience engagement.
- Self-starter with ability to work collaboratively to accomplish goals.
- Extensive experience in developing and managing sustainable revenue and expense budgets.
- High-level supervisory skills.
- Exceptional communication skills adaptable to a variety of settings.
- A collaborative disposition -Organized, detail oriented, hands-on, and flexible individuals strongly encouraged to apply Preferences
- Experience working in both an urban public-school setting and gardening preferred.
- Able to work outdoors and tolerate varying weather conditions.
- Graphic design (Canva, Photoshop), photography and photo-editing skills a plus.
- Strong writing
- Proficiency in Spanish preferred.
- Ability to lift, push, and/or pull objects up to approximately 40 pounds
- Must be able to squat, lift, stretch, bend, and stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to perform physical labor outside in various weather conditions.
- Comfort working seated at a desk and on a computer for prolonged periods
- New-Schedule: Tuesday through Saturday, 9am to 5pm
- Employment Classification: Full-Time Regular
- Salary Range: $60,000-$65,000
- Worksite Location: Denny Farrell Riverbank State Park in West Harlem, York.
Benefits -The Hort offers full-time employees a PTO package, sick leave, 10 paid holidays, pre-tax transit benefits, Flexible Spending Account, Employee Assistance Program, and the opportunity to enroll in our medical plan (of which the Hort pays a portion).
How to Apply
To be considered please email cover letter, resume, and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Education Center Manager’ in the subject line. No phone calls please.
The Hort is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. It is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law.
We provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities to enable them to perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations are also available for these individuals during the hiring process. Please email jobs[at]thehort.org should you require a reasonable accommodation during the hiring process.
The Horticultural Society of New York