Education Greenhouse Specialist
Brooklyn Botanic Garden (BBG) is seeking a part time Education Greenhouse Specialist to perform horticultural maintenance and mentor volunteers in our Education Greenhouse. Our Education Greenhouses includes woody and herbaceous indoor plant collections used for education programs and is used as a teaching space for classes and workshops.
The position is part-time,15 hours/week; Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays, approximately 5 hours per day.
- Implement maintenance plan for education greenhouses, including watering, pest management, pruning, signage, propagation, plant research and acquisition, and record-keeping.
- Work closely with a small consistent class of teen volunteer students with autism, and with their teachers, on Monday mornings. Greet and welcome the group and orient them to the day’s task (including floor sweeping and pot-washing on alternate weeks). Plan and guide additional activities such as Garden walks, pest management, or potting-up plants.
- Communicate effectively with the School Workshops Coordinator about greenhouse updates and needs including additions or changes to the plant collection, pest issues, facility and equipment repairs, and space management to ensure all programs’ needs are met.
- Experience in horticulture or gardening.
- General knowledge of greenhouse horticulture and plant maintenance methods.
- Pest identification skills and knowledge of control methods.
- Experience working with diverse groups or as an educator is a plus.
- Ability to work unsupervised on weekends, and in tandem with the School Workshops Coordinator on Mondays.
- Effective oral communication skills.
- Must be able to lift/carry potted plants and equipment
- The Education Greenhouse space consists of three sections roughly representing and containing desert, temperate, and tropical plant collections. Although it is an indoor collection, during the year the space may be quite chilly or hot.
- Most of the education staff are off on weekends, so weekend days will be worked solo. On Mondays, there will be interaction with the student group during the school year, some volunteers, the School Workshops Coordinator, and other colleagues in the children’s education department.
How to Apply:
Applications submitted without a résumé and cover letter will not be considered.
Please go to to apply for the position. No telephone calls for position inquiries, please. Applicants with disabilities who need assistance with the online system may contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Brooklyn Botanic Garden is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.