Education Manager & Senior Educator
Start Date: 5/1/2022 Compensation: $58,000
The Horticultural Society of New York (The Hort) seeks an Education Manager for a unique position that combines teaching hands-on science and administrative support for a department that serves up to 10,000 people annually. We are seeking an adaptable and organized leader to further our programs and serve our students in thirty New York City public schools and at the Greenhouse & Education Center at the Denny Farrell Riverbank State Park in West Harlem. This full-time position begins May 1, 2022. For more information about our programs, please visit our website at www.thehort.org
School and Community Outreach
- Liaise with existing schools and community partners
- Build new relationships to expand community reach
- Solicit and schedule programs at DFRSP Greenhouse & Education Center for local schools
- Develop promotional and project materials
Managerial and Administrative Support
- Act as right-hand to the Director of Education to ensure program mandates and initiatives are in compliance, within budget and completed on time
- Purchase program supplies and maintain tracking system for all projects
- Serve as role model for Education staff—demonstrating open communication, strong organizational and forward-thinking skills
- Track attendance, deliverables and outcomes for grant reports
Teaching Students and Teachers
- Teach in-person, on-line and in blended capacities for students, teachers, seniors and the public
- Educate students using established curricula emphasizing hands-on botany, nutrition, art, natural science, and gardening activities
- Travel to partner sites to plant, propagate, cultivate, and maintain vegetables, pollinator and learning gardens
- Co-teach teacher courses and assist with applications, reporting and grading
- Bachelor’s degree in education, environmental science, botany, or related field.
- Experience with both educating children and gardening required.
- Willingness to work both indoors and outdoors all year round.
- Willingness and interest in traveling to different schools and locations every day.
- A self-starter with strong organizational, communication, and critical thinking skills.
- Fluency in Spanish strongly preferred.
The employee must be able to lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. The role requires comfort with public transportation and working outside year-round in various weather conditions. The Senior Education Manager must also be comfortable working seated at a desk and on a computer for prolonged periods of time.
The Hort offers all Full-Time regular employees a generous leave package including vacation, personal, sick leave, and 10 holidays. Pre-tax benefits include transit, Flexible Spending Account, medical, dental, and vision insurance. Employee also have access to our Employee Assistance Program.
- Salary: $58,500
- Employment Classification: Full-Time Regular
- Reports To: Director of Education
- Background Check: All Educators must be screen by the DOE Office of Personnel Investigation and submit fingerprints
How to Apply
To be considered please email a thoughtful cover letter, resume, and two references to email@example.com with ‘Senior Education Manager in the subject line. No phone calls.
The Hort is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. It is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law.
We provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities to enable them to perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations are also available for these individuals during the hiring process. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org should you require a reasonable accommodation during the hiring process.
The Horticultural Society of New York