(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Start Date: March 2023 Compensation: $18-$20 per hour
Van Cortlandt Park Alliance Preserves, supports, and promotes the recreational, ecological, and historical value of Van Cortlandt Park. The organization raises funds to support the park, oversees 2,000+ volunteers per year, educates over 1,000 students, and provides cultural and environmental programming for the public, encouraging them to become stewards of their beloved green resource in the Bronx.
Van Cortlandt Park Alliance seeks two (2) Part-time Environmental Educators who are motivated, self directed, and energetic with strong interest in youth development and outdoor environmental work to lead education and volunteer programs in Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx. Van CortlandtPark’s “outdoor classroom” includes an educational garden, woodland trails, wetlands, and pond.
Reporting to the Environmental & Garden Education Program Director, the Part-time Environmental Educators will be responsible for teaching outdoor environmental education programs to children and teens with the goal of encouraging students’ awareness and appreciation of the environment, broadening students’ knowledge of science concepts, and fostering students’ commitment to the protection of the natural environment.
The Part-time Environmental Educators work 20 hours per week.
Weekday (T-Th): Programs for elementary school kids include exploration of the pond ecosystem, forest hikes, and hands-on urban farming and composting in VCPA’s Garden & Compost site.
Weekends (Saturday): Programs include garden exploration days for pre-K children and their caregivers and a drop-off class for kids ages 7-11 years old, focused on composting, and urban farming.
- Leading activities, preparing lessons, working outdoors in all weather;
- Tracking metrics and reporting;
- Assisting with community events, cultural programs, and special events as needed.
- Associate’s or Bachelor's degree in an environmental, science, or education ﬁeld and/or 2-3 years experience teaching outdoor, hands-on science
- Ability to follow instructions without close supervision
- Understanding of basic ecological concepts and willingness to learn environmental education lessons and issues speciﬁc to Van Cortlandt Park
- Flexibility to adapt to the needs of the program and participant
- Willing to work outdoors in all types of weather
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds, carry tools and plants, stand for long periods of time.
- First Aid and CPR Training
- Hands-on curriculum development experience
- Familiarity with the natural areas of Van Cortlandt Park
- Experience working with children, pre-K through high school, in an outdoor setting
- Knowledgeable of age-appropriate teaching strategies
- Familiarity with environmental topics
- Ability to think on your feet and solve problems on the spot.
- March 2023 to June 2023 with the possibility of extension.
- 20 hours per week (3-4 days per week)
- Tuesday-Thursday, 9:30 am-2:30 pm
- Saturday, 9 am-2:30 pm
Salary: $18-$20/hour depending on experience Reports to: Environmental & Garden Education Program Director
Send resume and 3 references to email@example.com. Applicants will be interviewed until positions are ﬁllled.
Van Cortlandt Park Alliance
Contact Name: Sara Kempton, Environmental and Garden Education Program Director