Large and complex, private estate in Millbrook, NY looking for a hands-on, team-oriented gardener. Working under the supervision of the Director of Conservatory & Gardens this gardener is expected to participate in all facets of horticultural work including greenhouse care, vegetable garden care, and care of perennial and annual displays throughout the estate.
- Discreet individual with ability to work as a team member. A self-starter who can relate well with others in an organized, efficient manner with a high level of accuracy, attention to detail, and follow-through.
- Ability to exercise judgment. Good time-management and general organization skills. Ability to listen closely and follow direction.
- Approach each day with a positive attitude and be supportive of coworkers.
- Strong moral compass and unquestioned professional conduct.
- Must maintain the confidentiality of a private employer.
This position is a full-time, year-round opportunity (winter may include a modified work week) with a full benefits package. Compensation commensurate with experience.
Applicants must pass a background check. If interested please submit a resume and cover letter.
- Degree in horticulture and at least 3 years of experience in the horticultural field. Greater experience may be substituted for educational requirement.
- A fundamental background in greenhouse care and growing, vegetable and flower gardening. General gardening skills and experience are required including soil preparation, planting, plant maintenance, pruning, propagation, produce harvesting, etc.
- Applicants should have good plant knowledge balanced with a learner’s mindset.
- Superb communication skills, a passion for plants and gardens and a sound work ethic are essential.
- Applicants must be able to lift 40 lbs., be physically fit, willing to work in a variety of weather conditions, and be familiar with the proper use of a variety of hand and power tools.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Possess or be willing to acquire a NYS Pesticide Applicator’s License.