Hands-on, team-oriented gardener needed to join the horticulture staff of a 600+ acre private estate in Millbrook, NY. The ideal candidate will participate in all facets of horticultural work including care of greenhouses, perennial and annual displays and trees and shrubs throughout the estate.
The successful candidate will join a highly skilled, driven team of 9 horticulturists who are raising the bar with respect to horticultural excellence. The new team member will have knowledge and experience to share and be open to learning established methodologies, proven effective on this property. Enthusiasm, a strong work ethic, professional demeanor and collaborative nature are essential. The successful candidate will become a key member of the Formal Gardens team, but will also have the opportunity to work in other parts of the estate including woodland, meadow, vegetable, and water gardens and conservatory.
- Discreet individual with ability to work as a team member. A self-starter who can relate well with others in an organized, efficient manner with a high level of accuracy, attention to detail, and follow-through.
- Ability to use good judgment, time-management and general organization skills. Ability to listen closely and follow directions. Collaborative, tactful communication skills are essential.
- Approach each day with a positive attitude and be supportive of coworkers.
- Strong moral compass and unquestioned professional conduct.
- Must maintain the confidentiality of a private employer.
- Degree in horticulture and 1-3 years of experience in the horticultural field. Greater experience may be substituted for educational requirement.
- Fundamental background in greenhouse care/growing and ornamental horticulture. General gardening skills and experience are required including soil preparation, planting, plant maintenance, watering, feeding, pruning, propagation, pest and disease identification and management, etc.
- Proven design sense coupled with the flexibility necessary to achieve aesthetic preferences.
- Good plant knowledge balanced with a learner’s mindset.
- Superb communication skills, a passion for plants and gardens and a sound work ethic are essential.
- Ability to contribute to team Integrated Pest Management effort, including scouting for pests and diseases, pest identification and recommendations for control, applying herbicides, pesticides, fungicides or other products as necessary.
- Specialization(s) in any of the following are desirable: fine gardening skills including creation of annual container displays, florist skills, arboriculture
- Applicants must be able to lift 40 lbs., be physically fit, willing to work in a variety of weather conditions, and be familiar with the proper use of a variety of hand and power tools.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- ISA certified Arborist credential desirable.
- Leadership skills including managing crews and projects desirable.
- Possess or be willing to acquire a NYS Pesticide Applicator’s License.
This position is a full-time, year-round opportunity (winter may include a modified work week) with a full benefits package. Occasional weekend/holiday work and overtime during peaks in the growing season are required. Compensation commensurate with experience.
Applicants must pass a background check.