Start Date: ASAP Compensation: $50,000-$70,000 annually
A private in Northern Westchester is seeking an experienced gardener to join our team of horticulturists. Essential traits for the Estate Gardener are a love of the outdoors, the ability to work independently as well as part of a team, and the enthusiasm to hone one’s knowledge and skills. The Estate Gardener will participate in all aspects of landscape maintenance and plant health care. This position will report to the Head Gardener.
- The daily care and maintenance of annual, perennial, cutting, and vegetable gardens as well as containers, botanical collections and greenhouses.
- Duties include planting, watering, fertilizing, weeding, deadheading, pruning, propagating and soil amending using best horticultural practices.
- Monitor, recognize and report any signs of pest, disease, or cultural problems to our Head Gardener, and when necessary follow through with appropriate treatments.
- Work in conjunction with other gardeners and landscape crews on large projects throughout the property; effectively communicate and coordinate with the horticulture team.
- Record keeping including daily logging of completed work tasks, plant acquisitions, plant health care treatment records; assist with the maintenance of plant labels throughout the gardens.
- Professional gardening experience and/or education in horticulture or a related field
- Strong plant identification skills and experience working with a variety of plants such as annuals, perennials, vegetables, flowers and woody ornamentals
- Detail oriented with experience in fine gardening
- Ability to work independently and with others
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work efficiently
- Ability to perform physical labor and a willingness to work in a variety of weather conditions
- Experience using various garden tools and equipment
- Experience with Microsoft Office and Google Suite is preferred
- Ability to be flexible in a fast paced and dynamic environment where priorities shift due to variables like weather, scheduling and events