Experienced Landscape Design/Build Team member (Brooklyn)
(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Start Date: Immediate Compensation: $28-$35
Design by Plants is looking for an experienced landscape designer with horticultural knowledge, field experience and the ability to move flexibly between studio and site. We are a small firm with projects that seek in every way to create restorative natural environments, rebuild ecological communities and artfully and creatively connect our clients to plants and the living world. We are architects, artists, horticulturalists, designers, builders and educators designing and building beautiful and productive gardens, weaving the natural and built worlds. Our Ulster County location, the Field Station is being developed as a nursery, regenerative farm and education center.
This is primarily a landscape design position with significant field work. You will be asked to survey and analyze new project sites. You will be asked to create conceptual plans, develop designs and draft construction drawings. You will be asked to research new plants/design approaches and assemble presentations. You will be asked to present to clients and make necessary adjustments to designs.
As a small design/build firm all members of our team are periodically called upon to assist with different tasks. Flexibility and an ability to support multiple efforts will be important.
We will consider applicants with 3-10 years of landscape design and horticulture experience. A portion of this experience may be in gardening and/or garden construction (carpentry and/or masonry) experience, but a demonstrated ability to design outdoor spaces and plant communities is required. The ideal candidate will be passionate about plants and rebuilding ecological systems, be a team player with great people skills, be flexible and creative, be resourceful and a problem-solver. Basic skills in plant ID, plant care, soil management and plant pest management will be necessary.
- Applicants must demonstrate a basic competency with CADD and image editing/computer graphics software (AutoCAD and Adobe Suite).
- Good organizational and planning capabilities
- Basic understanding of garden elements, materials and basic construction processes for garden fences, walls, patios, planters and pergolas.
- Basic understanding of garden irrigation and low voltage lighting systems
- Driver’s license and good driving record. Travel and an occasional remote overnight may be required.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs and assist in the occasional movements of plants, soils and construction materials
Please submit a resume and cover letter indicating your interest in the position.
We are seeking help through December 22 with a 4-5 days per week commitment. Potential to continue full-time for the right individual
Design by Plants
Contact Name: Anne Wiesen