Locations: BROOKLYN NAVY YARD and SUNSET PARK BROOKLYN, LIC, QUEENS, KEARNY, NJ
Job Type: FULL TIME
Salary: $40,000 plus benefits
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Brooklyn Grange is seeking a self-starting, focused, hard-working individual, with a keen design sensibility, to help manage our facilities in Brooklyn, NY and Queens, NY. The Facilities Manager will report to the Chief Creative Officer, and will be responsible for executing facilities improvements and custom fabrications at all Brooklyn Grange locations. Work includes carpentry, systems improvements, interior finish work, light plumbing and electrical work as needed and management of small projects and upgrades. The Facilities Manager’s work will serve the business as a whole, and directly impact the growth and success of our three primary departments: Farming, Events, and Design/Build.
Our business is a fast-paced environment where we strive for quality and efficiency. The Facilities Manager should be personable and a good communicator, with the ability to organize and prioritize projects across multiple locations and departments of the business. Energetic, self-motivated and detail-oriented, he or she must be able to keep up with the brisk pace of our projects, and take pride and ownership over the beauty and functionality of our locations. The Facilities Manager must be able to work outside in all weather, and lift heavy loads repeatedly. The job will require the use of power tools, occasional heavy machinery, and driving vans in and around NYC.
ABOUT THE COMPANY:
Brooklyn Grange is the world’s largest green roof farming business. We grow vegetables, keep bees, and host events on two roofs in LIC, Queens, and in the Brooklyn Navy Yard, respectively. We also design and install green roofs, gardens, and farms for clients ranging from private homes to corporate headquarters to low-income housing facilities.
All three of our departments—our Farming division, our Events program, and the Design and Installation arm—are part of our close-knit “farmily,” so working with Brooklyn Grange means working alongside a diverse team of extraordinary and knowledgeable individuals who share a common goal of making their city a greener, more sustainable and delicious place to live.
We are looking for dedicated individuals who are interested in committing to a full time job, 40 hours a week, M-F. Occasional weekend work may be required, as well as early mornings.
- plan/oversee carpentry, repair and installation projects on 3 locations, in offices, and off-site
- serve as the point person for executing finish work and ongoing repairs and upgrades at our new farm in Brooklyn, which includes a large outdoor farm, greenhouse and events penthouse
- align facilities projects, carpentry, and installations with Brooklyn Grange’s brand
- oversee day-to-day maintenance and appearance of sites and offices
- oversee occasional electrical and plumbing projects, including scheduling and oversight of contractors
- track, organize and communicate openly with management team about projects and plans
- plan, build and maintain signage, ramps and other infrastructure to improve flow, wayfinding and safety across the farms and interior spaces
- carpentry and use of power tools for wood and metal work
- basic custom fabrication, with ability to repurpose materials and effect sustainable designs
- self-driven, eager to solve problems, and take on new challenges
- adept at working alone and in teams
- comfortable working outdoors in all weather
- good eye for design
- comfortable working with various materials, including wood, adhesives, paint, etc
- experience with electrical and plumbing a plus
- organized and competent project manager
- OSHA training and experience with driving forklifts or other small heavy machinery a plus
- Valid NY State driver’s license required, comfortable driving in NYC
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Is energetic, eager to learn about our unique green business, and has a great work ethic
- Is passionate about design, can create custom fabrications, and understands our aesthetic
- Loves working outdoors in any weather, loves nature
- Is organized and professional, and is a good communicator
- Is able to work independently and be very self-motivated
- Is punctual and time efficient
- Is able to lift 40 lbs repeatedly, and to squat, kneel, bend over, and reach for extended periods of time
- Takes pride in making things organized, streamlined, functional, and beautiful
WHAT WE’RE OFFERING:
- $40,000 annual base salary
- A progressive work environment as part of a small team
- Health Insurance Reimbursement Account (HRA)
- Participation in the company’s Simple IRA Plan
- Discounts to Brooklyn Grange events and workshops
- Occasional free vegetables from our rooftop farms
- Email: email@example.com with the subject line “Facilities Manager Application”
- Include a cover letter, resume
- Applications will be accepted until 11:59pm April 30, 2019
Brooklyn Grange is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating a diverse and multicultural team. We consider all individuals for employment without regard to race, religion, age, sex, gender, disability, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, sexual orientation, familial status, military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
We strongly encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds.