Brooklyn Grange, the world’s leading soil-based rooftop farming business, is seeking a few focused, hardworking individuals to help us farm our rooftops in Brooklyn, NY and Queens, NY. Crew members will report to the Farm Managers of each site, as well as the Director of Farming Operations, and will be involved in many aspects of the farm, including bed preparation, trellising, cultivating and harvesting crops, packing weekly wholesale orders and CSA shares, maintaining compost piles, record-keeping, treating pests and diseases and assisting with infrastructure projects and maintenance.
Our farm is a fast-paced environment where we strive for quality and efficiency. Crew members should be personable and excellent team players. Energetic, self-motivated and detail-oriented, crew members must be able to keep up with the brisk pace up on the roof, and take pride in completing daily tasks and demonstrate initiative in tending to the farm. Farm work is hard, but rewarding. Crew members must be able to work outside in all weather, lift heavy loads repeatedly, and spend long periods kneeling, squatting, bending over, reaching, etc. This is a rooftop farm, and thus, not as mechanized as ground level farms who use tractors and heavy machinery.
We are looking for dedicated individuals who are interested in committing to the full season on the farm, from, approximately, April 23 - November 1st, ranging from 20-40 hours/week.
- Manual field work, not limited to bed preparation, transplanting, hand-weeding, trellising, irrigation set up and management, pest and disease management, etc.
- Propagation, cultivation, and care for greenhouse and field crops, under supervision and guidance of Farm Managers
- Harvesting, washing, and packing for wholesale accounts, farm stands, and CSA
- Keep farm neat and orderly at all times
- Communicate with and work well alongside staff from other departments
What we’re offering:
A progressive work environment as part of a small team Hourly pay rate of $15/hour Discounts to Brooklyn Grange events and workshops Occasional fresh vegetables to take home, when available and at the discretion of the Farm Managers
- Has at least one full season of farm experience
- Is energetic, eager to learn about rooftop farming, and has a great work ethic
- Loves working outdoors in any weather
- Can take direction and is a team player
- Is organized and professional
- Is able to work independently and be very self-motivated
- Is punctual and time efficient
- Is able to lift 50 lbs repeatedly, and to squat, kneel, bend over, and reach for extended periods of time
- Valid driver’s license a plus
- Email: email@example.com with the subject line “Farm Crew Member Job Application”
- Answer the four questions found on the following page. Please do not write more than one page.
- Include a resume and brief description of your availability (e.g. days/hours you are available throughout the season, and any days/hours during which you are totally unavailable)
- Applications will be accepted through 2/17/2020
Brooklyn Grange is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating a diverse and multicultural team. We consider all individuals for employment without regard to race, religion, age, sex, gender, disability, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, sexual orientation, familial status, military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. We strongly encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds.
Farm Crew Application Questions
Please answer the following questions and attach them in your application email. Please keep answers to no more than one page in length.
1. What is your experience with agriculture?
2. We think rooftop farming is the most fun job in the world, but it is physically demanding work performed outside in all elements! Farm crew will be asked to work 6-9 hour long shifts, performing manual work in all weather. Describe some experiences that make you qualified for this position.
3. What do you hope to gain from farming with Brooklyn Grange?
4. Do you have experience working with diverse populations within food systems? What does a food system that values diversity, equity and sustainability look like to you?
Brooklyn Grange Rooftop Farm