Brooklyn Grange Rooftop Farm
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Job Type: Full Time, Seasonal
Brooklyn Grange, the world’s leading soil-based rooftop farming business, is seeking a focused, hard-working individual to help us farm our rooftops in Brooklyn, NY. Farm Crew members will report to the Farm Managers of each site, as well as the Director of Farming Operations, and will be involved in many aspects of the farm, including bed preparation, trellising, cultivating and harvesting crops, packing weekly vegetable orders and CSA shares, maintaining compost piles, treating pests and diseases, and assisting with infrastructure projects and maintenance. Additionally, this role will include a delivery shift on Tuesdays, with the bulk of the deliveries serving our EFD (Equitable Food Distribution) program and partnerships, and the opportunity to further engage with and support that work.
Our farm is a fast-paced environment where we strive for quality and efficiency. Farm Crew members should be personable and excellent team players, and must already enjoy (or have an interest in learning about) the cultivation of vegetables. Energetic, self-motivated and detail-oriented, Farm Crew members must be able to keep up with the brisk pace up on the roof, and take pride in completing daily tasks and demonstrate initiative in tending to the farm. Farm work is hard, but rewarding. Farm Crew members must be able to work outside in all weather, lift heavy loads repeatedly, and spend long periods kneeling, squatting, bending over, reaching, etc. This is a rooftop farm, and thus, not as mechanized as ground level farms who use tractors and heavy machinery. Additionally, to facilitate our deliveries, we are looking for an experienced city driver, who is detail-oriented, hard-working, calm under pressure, sociable, and able to find the best secret parking spots in the city—to deliver our fresh farm vegetables to our community members!
SCHEDULE: We are looking for dedicated individuals who are interested in committing to the full season on the farm, from, approximately, April through October, ranging from 35-40 hours/week. Farm shifts and delivery shifts start early mornings. Farm shifts will be M, W, Th, and F, and delivery shift will be Tuesdays.
ABOUT THE COMPANY: Brooklyn Grange is the world’s largest green roof farming business. We grow vegetables, keep bees, and host programming & events on roofs in LIC, Queens, and Brooklyn, NY. We also design and install green roofs, gardens, and farms for clients ranging from private homes to corporate headquarters to low-income housing facilities.
All three of our departments—our Farm department, our Programming & Events department, and our Design/Build department—are part of our close-knit “farmily,” so working with Brooklyn Grange means working alongside a diverse team of extraordinary and knowledgeable individuals who share a common goal of making their city a greener, more sustainable, delicious, and equitable place to live.
WHAT WE’RE OFFERING:
- A progressive work environment as part of a small team
- An hourly rate of $18.97/hr
- Paid Time Off
- Participation in the company’s Simple IRA plan and health benefit if eligible (for FT Seasonal team members)
- Discounted Employee CSA offering
- Discounts to Brooklyn Grange events and workshops, and access to NYC’s most delicious vegetables when possible
- Undertake manual field work, including bed preparation, transplanting, hand-weeding, trellising, irrigation set up and management, pest and disease management, etc.
- Propagate, cultivate, and care for field crops, under supervision and guidance of farm managers.
- Help tend to perennials, flowers, and rooftop maintenance of a clean and professional space.
- Harvest, wash, and pack vegetable orders for our Equitable Food Distribution partners, CSA, farm stands, and wholesale.
- Organization skills and packing efficiency, keeping all produce for the same accounts together and packing in order of delivery.
- Keep the farm and rooftop neat and orderly at all times, and help create a welcoming and inclusive space for our team and our community.
- Communicate with and work well alongside staff from other departments.
- Enthusiastic about engaging with Brooklyn Grange’s community partners – including food pantries and nonprofits – on deliveries
- Drive company vehicle safely and carefully throughout New York City, primarily Brooklyn, and lower mManhattan.
- Able to lift multiple cases of produce on your own, ranging from 5-40 lbs each, and pack produce carefully and efficiently into and out of a vehicle.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Has at least one full season of farm experience.
- Is energetic, eager to learn about farming & food distribution, and has a great work ethic.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and an immaculate driving record. Can navigate the city streets with comfort, ease, and efficiency. Enjoys driving and is always attentive to safety on the road.
- Has experience driving larger vehicles including vans or box trucks. Prior driver’s training preferred.
- Is punctual and time efficient, can work early mornings, and is responsible and respectful.
- Loves working outdoors in any weather.
- Is organized and professional and communicates clearly, and timely via text, email, and phone.
- Is able to work independently and be very self-motivated, and can take direction as a team player.
- Is able to lift 50 lbs repeatedly, and to squat, kneel, bend over, and reach for extended periods of time.
- Email: email@example.com with the subject line “Farm Crew Job Application”
- Include a resume, cover letter and brief description of your availability (e.g. days/hours you are available throughout the season, and any days/hours during which you are totally unavailable).
- Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Brooklyn Grange is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating a diverse and multicultural team. We consider all individuals for employment without regard to race, religion, age, sex, gender, disability, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, sexual orientation, familial status, military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. We strongly encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds.