Compensation: 20.20-23.33 per/hour
Brooklyn Grange, the world's leading soil-based rooftop farming business, is seeking two focused, hard-working individuals to help us farm a 1 acre rooftop run by Brooklyn Grange, atop the newly expanded Jacob Javits Center in Manhattan. Additionally, we are seeking a Crew member to help us farm our own rooftop in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, NY.
Crew members will report to the Farm Managers, with additional oversight and support from the Assistant Farm Managers. Farm Crew will be involved in many aspects of the farm, including bed preparation, cultivating and harvesting crops, packing vegetable orders, maintaining compost piles, treating pests and diseases, and assisting with infrastructure projects and maintenance. Additionally, one of the Javits Crew positions will consist of a 50/50 work split between the field and the greenhouse. (Greenhouse will consist of assisting with hydroponic operations, microgreens, seedling propagation, and cultivation and harvest of greenhouse tomatoes. Prior hydroponic experience preferred).
Our farm is a fast-paced environment where we strive for quality and efficiency. Crew members should be personable and excellent team players. Energetic, self-motivated and detail-oriented, Farm Crew members must be able to keep up with the brisk pace on the roof, take pride in completing daily tasks and maintaining a clean and presentable farm, and demonstrate initiative in tending to the farm. Crew members must be able to work outside in all weather, lift heavy loads repeatedly, and spend long periods kneeling, squatting, bending over, reaching, etc. This is a rooftop farm, and thus, not as mechanized as ground level farms who use tractors and heavy machinery
- Undertake manual field work, including bed preparation, transplanting, hand-weeding, trellising, irrigation set up and management, pest and disease management, etc.
- Propagate, cultivate, and care for field crops, under supervision and guidance of Farm Managers.
- Harvest, wash, and pack vegetable orders.
- Keep farm neat and organized, with an eye towards aesthetics and creating a welcoming space for our team and our community.
- Help tend to perennials, flowers, and rooftop maintenance of a clean and professional rooftop.
- Maintain GAP and NY Grown and Certified food safety protocols to ensure annual certification and recertification.
- Communicate with and work well alongside team members from other departments.
- Has at least one full season of farm experience cultivating vegetables.
- For the 50/50 Field/Greenhouse position, prior hydroponic experience is preferred.
- Is energetic, eager to learn about farming & food distribution, and has a great work ethic.
- Loves working outdoors in any weather. ● Can take direction and is a team player.
- Is organized, professional, and respectful.
- Is organized and professional and communicates clearly, and timely via text, email, and phone.
- Is able to work independently and be very self-motivated, and can take direction as a team player.
- Is able to lift 50 lbs repeatedly, and to squat, kneel, bend over, and reach for extended periods of time.
- Valid driver's license a plus.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Farm Crew Job Application”
- Include a resume and brief cover letter
- Applications will be accepted through 3/17/2023
For a full job description visit https://www.brooklyngrangefarm.com/jobs