LOCATION: Keswick, VA
Clover Hill Farm is an Albemarle County-owned farm located on 750 acres in Keswick, VA. We raise cattle, and are starting to grow vegetables for a local restaurant. Our mission is to farm sustainably and engage in ecologically sensible land management. Our cattle program is a cow/calf operation using pasture-based rotational grazing to best utilize our land. We are in the process of implementing natural forage finishing. Through invasive species removal and native meadow establishment we are working to make our farm a positive contributor to the ecosystem. Also important to us are the recreational pursuits that the land offers. We have an extensive trail network, two ponds and a beautiful setting to enjoy.
Supervised by the Farm Manager, the Farm helper be a part of a three man crew that maintains and improves the farm. This is a good opportunity to get in on the early stage of a growing operation.
- Assist with Cattle Herd.
- Hand water and monitor irrigation of plantings, especially during time of establishment and drought.
- Work with crew to build and maintain trail system
- Assist with Meadow maintenance
- Operate small hand tools and basic power machinery, including hedge trimmers, weed whackers, and leaf blowers
- Invasive Plant Control
- Herbicide application
- Use mechanized farm equipment
- Maintain a clean, safe, and organized work environmentan.
- Good attitude and energy
- Willing to work in all weather conditions
- Comfortably able to lift 50lbs
- Valid driver’s license
Preferred but not Required Skills
- Demonstrated ability to stay informed of current research and/or new methods in sustainable agriculture
- Knowledge of perennial, shrub and tree identification
- Experience with natural lands management
- Experience with native plant production
- Experience with tractors and other farm equipment preferred
- Livestock experience desired but not required
Schedule & Compensation
Work Hours are 7 AM to 3:30 PM Monday through Friday. There is some flexibility in schedule if there is a good fit. Compensation is commensurate with experience; anticipated starting range $15-$20 per hour with the potential for increase.
Please email a letter of interest, resume, and a list of 3 references to email@example.com.