Start Date: ASAP Compensation: salary
Bayard Cutting Arboretum Farm Manager
The Farm Manager is responsible for overall management of the farm. He/ she is accountable to the Arboretum Director and works in conjunction with the CSA Coordinator to fulfill the mission of the farm. The CSA is the only community sponsored agriculture project in the NYS parks system. In keeping with the mission of Bayard Cutting Arboretum, the farm pledges to uphold the principles of sustainable agriculture; using organic methods, relationship building, educational, and community outreach. In 2019 the three-acre farm produced high quality, organic produce for 110 families.
- Supervise Field Manager, interns, volunteers, CSA members.
- Meet with Director, Curator, and CSA Coordinator regularly.
- Create and implement farm calendar using Ag Squared.
- Map out field using succession plantings and crop rotations.
- Plan seeding schedule. Maintain and manage poly house to be ready for seeding by February.
- Order seeds, soil, planting supplies.
- Maintain 150 laying hens. Maintain coops and yard.
- Plan and manage harvest with the goal of having 10 to 12 different items per harvest
- Implement an Integrated Pest Management Program for the management of insects, diseases and weeds.
- Test and build soil, using appropriate amendments to ensure optimum fertility.
- Manage composting
- Manage irrigation
- Manage farm projects: fencing, barn maintenance, etc.
- Job history of farm management.
- Working knowledge of integrated pest management.
- Strong communication, organizational, and supervisory skills.
- Able to work in inclement weather.
- Ability to operate tractor with implements, rototiller, and other motorized equipment