Brooklyn Grange Rooftop Farm
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Job Type: Full-Time Seasonal
ABOUT THE POSITION: Brooklyn Grange, the world’s leading soil-based rooftop farming business, seeks an experienced and knowledgeable Field Manager to run its 1 acre site in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. The Field Manager will report to the Head Farmer and Director of Farming Operations, and will be responsible for all field management operations, including: directing and managing staff, executing our crop plan and cultivation, crop management, soil management, pest and pathogen control, weed maintenance, irrigation maintenance, and management of on-site composting; propagating crops in the greenhouse; tool maintenance, coordinating with our Harvest Manager and Head Farmer about weekly plantings; undertaking infrastructure projects and maintenance; and winterizing the farm as the season winds down.
The Field Manager should be personable and an excellent communicator and motivator. A team player, the ideal candidate demonstrates good judgment and maturity in leading a team. Organized and energetic, the Field Manager should set a brisk pace for their team and take pride in completing all daily tasks. The Field Manager should also continually demonstrate initiative in tending to the farm and should be proactive about improving upon and creating new systems for the farm.
SCHEDULE: The Field Manager is required to be on site Monday through Friday during the regular season, including many early mornings and occasional weekends. The position affords flexibility in winter months.
ABOUT THE COMPANY: Brooklyn Grange is the world’s largest green roof farming business. We grow vegetables, keep bees, and host events on our roofs in LIC, Queens, and Brooklyn, NY. We also design and install green roofs, gardens, and farms for clients ranging from private homes to corporate headquarters to low-income housing facilities. All three of our departments—our Farming division, our Events program, and the Design and Installation arm—are part of our close-knit “farmily,” so working with Brooklyn Grange means working alongside a diverse team of extraordinary and knowledgeable individuals who share a common goal of making their city a greener, more sustainable and delicious place to live.
- Manage all cultivation of a diversified vegetable farm, with support and direction from the Head Farmer and Director of Farming Operations.
- Execute the crop plan, directing weekly sowings and transplanting, and keep related records and data. Manage disease and pest concerns, proactively address weeds, maintain soil health, and set up and maintain irrigation.
- Manual field work, including bed preparation, hand-weeding, occasional harvesting and packing produce, etc.
- Manage, supervise, and instruct farm staff on all field duties and farm practices. Create and implement on-farm demonstrations and lessons as needed for farming staff.
- Coordinate with Head Farmer, Harvest Manager, Director of Farming Operations and Farm Managers at our other sites regarding crop planning, farm and staff management, Brooklyn Grange farm protocols, best practices, food safety, and increased efficiencies. Attend regular team meetings.
- Maintain and improve facilities and overall infrastructure; ability to troubleshoot minor carpentry and electrical issues.
- Receive visitors to the farm with professionalism and hospitality, while maintaining company rules and regulations. Liaise with building owners and managers.
- Assist Director of Farming Operations with winter tasks (planning, repairs, microgreens).
- Work closely with other departments, especially the Events department, to ensure the smooth operation of the business, maintain the farm as an events-ready space, and communicate proactively about issues that may impact the operations of other departments.
The ideal Candidate
- Has undergone extensive training in organic or low-input vegetable production, or has 2 seasons of relevant experience cultivating produce on a 1-acre farm
- Has experience with crop planning, succession planting, crop rotation
- Is familiar with tools such as seeders, tilthers, hand tillers, etc.
- Is familiar with food safety principles and best practices
- Is able to work independently, be very self-motivated, and possesses a great work ethic
- Is able to motivate and energize a team, and lead by example
- Possesses excellent leadership skills and is a true “People Person”
- Is organized and professional in responding to emails in a timely fashion, can navigate Google Drive, record and enter data into spreadsheets, etc.
- Can take direction and work well with others
- Enjoys working outdoors in any weather
- Is able to lift 50 lbs repeatedly, and to squat, bend over, and reach for extended periods of time
- Holds a valid driver’s license and is comfortable driving the company van in the city
What We’re Offering:
- A progressive work environment as part of a small team
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Participation in the company’s Simple IRA plan, health benefit, and other benefits as eligible
- Discounts to Brooklyn Grange events and workshops
- A steady stream of fresh vegetables
Email: email@example.com with the subject line “Field Manager Job Application”
Include a cover letter and resume
Applications will be accepted through 2/24/2019
Brooklyn Grange is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating a diverse and multicultural team. We consider all individuals for employment without regard to race, religion, age, sex, gender, disability, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, sexual orientation, familial status, military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. We strongly encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds.
Brooklyn Grange Rooftop Farm