Foreman: Landscape Construction/Installation
Start Date: April 1, 2023 Compensation: $30-$40/hour
We are a small, ecologically-minded landscape firm which offers a complete landscape design-and-build experience, from start to finish. Our specialties include native gardens, Japanese influenced design, eco-ponds, and natural swimming pools. We seek to create long-lasting relationships with our clients and are especially interested in finding employees who enjoy working together as a team and want to
develop a long-term stake in our growing enterprise.
We are located in the Hudson Valley at the foothills of the Catskill Mountains. Besides having access to wide swaths of wilderness for hiking, biking, rafting, canoeing, skiing and rock climbing, our proximity to NYC means that about half of the population are weekenders who bring the culture of NY to our area. We have a good music and arts scene, and Hudson Valley is also a hot spot of the farm-to-table movement with many small organic farms providing food to local restaurants as well as the city. A local community of organic growers has regular meetings and dinner parties open to anyone and is a good resource for finding housing, learning about events, and meeting interesting people.
You will be working independently, but also have access to guidance from the company owner and designer as needed, so expertise in all fields is not an absolute requirement. We have a varied project agenda, and this should be considered an opportunity to expand your landscape skills and work-scope. If there are specialties that you are particularly passionate about and/or skilled in, we will make efforts to accommodate more of those projects in our schedule, and afford you opportunities to develop your interests whenever possible.
- Meet with designer at start of project to review landscape plan and formulate construction and implementation plan
- Install landscapes and gardens following a scaled design.
- Construct wooden and stone retaining walls, raised beds, decks, pergolas, sheds, and other outdoor structures.
- Manage natural swimming pool construction under the guidance of company owner and designer.
- Supervise and work along-side a 2 to 4 member crew. We’re looking for natural leaders who can inspire and build crew cohesion and balance an upbeat work environment with a demanding workload in sometimes challenging working conditions.
- Several years experience directing a crew
- Knowledge of landscape construction techniques including plant installation, plan reading, patio and retaining wall construction, drainage, outdoor carpentry (decks, pergolas, sheds).
- A degree in horticulture, landscape construction, design, or similar is highly desirable.
- Clean driver’s license, reliable vehicle and smart phone a must.
- Must be comfortable driving truck with equipment/tool trailer.
- Experience with excavation machinery and pond building, and experience with plumbing a plus.
If this job sounds like it might be for you, please email or call us. We would love to speak with you. If you’re not sure if you are qualified, please get in touch. We are looking for less experienced workers as well, and there is room for growth and advancement. For more information about us and to view our other job ads, visit www.ferncreekdb.com.
Please complete the application form on our website by clicking here. Or send your resume to email@example.com. We will get back to you shortly. If it looks like you are a potential good fit we will set up an interview. We look forward to getting to know you!