Foreperson - Infrastructure
Compensation: $47K to 58,300 (based on level of experience)
Reports to: Manager of Technical Services
Department: Infrastructure & Facilities
Status: Full-time, Hourly
About Central Park and the Central Park Conservancy
Central Park is one of the most famous and beloved urban public spaces in the world. Designed by Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux in 1857, the 843-acre park was the first purpose-built public park in the country and is a National Historic Landmark. The Central Park Conservancy, a private not-for-profit organization, was founded in 1980 to rescue the Park which had fallen into serious disrepair. Since that time, the Conservancy has overseen the investment of approximately $1 billion in the restoration of the Park, and now hosts over 40 million visitors a year.
The Conservancy’s mission is to preserve and celebrate Central Park as a sanctuary from urban life. The City of New York has formally entrusted the care of the Park to the Conservancy which is responsible for every aspect of its care, including landscape maintenance, capital improvements, and the visitor experience. Committed to sharing the best practices in urban park management, the Conservancy also serves as a resource for other NYC parks and for public-private partnerships around the world. The Conservancy employs roughly 325 people and has an operating budget of $80 million. The Conservancy recently completed a seven-year plan, Central Park Conservancy, A Plan for the Stewardship of Central Park: 2020-2027, which focuses on the ongoing capital investment of the last four decade’s investment of more than $1 billion into Central Park.
Working under the general supervision of the Manager of Technical Services, the Foreperson is responsible for working alongside and providing direction to Infrastructure Technicians and ensuring all work meets acceptable standards. It is expected that the Foreperson will work across departments and with other staff in Park Operations to coordinate and advance the completion of facility and playground maintenance and repair tasks throughout the park.
Salary range: $47K to 58,300 (based on level of experience)
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION
The Central Park Conservancy’s work is guided by the belief that Central Park, and all public parks, must be managed and actively protected as an inclusive and democratic space for all. Working closely with our New York City partners, we will always strive towards creating and sustaining a sense of belonging for all visitors and advocating for equitable and accessible public use of the Park. In service of this belief, we are committed to fostering a workforce and organizational culture that is as diverse as Central Park itself and the dynamic city it serves.
Note: This is an on-site position.
Establishment and maintenance of a safe work environment is the shared responsibility of this organization and employees at every level. The Conservancy will make every effort to assure a safe environment and be in compliance with federal, state, and local safety regulations. Employees are expected to obey safety rules and to exercise caution in all their work activities. Accordingly, employees should be aware of any hazards, which could cause an injury or accident (e.g., spills, obstacles in walkways, etc.). If an employee discovers a potential dangerous condition, he/she should alert other employees and notify his/her supervisor immediately.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
- Work alongside and provide direction to Technicians to ensure all work is performed to meet organizational standards of methods and practices, safety, and other established requirements.
- Monitor and guide Technicians in the proper techniques of park maintenance and repair and in the proper use and care of tools, equipment, and materials
- Utilize available technology such as a computer-based work order system to increase department effectiveness, efficiency, and completion of work assignments
- Monitor project sites and perform playground, park, and facility inspections
- Provide regular and constructive feedback to Technicians to maintain employee engagement and accountability and communicate concerns to supervisor
- Coordinate work with staff of NYC Parks, other city agencies, and third-party contractors, following up as needed to ensure work is completed in a timely manner and consistent with all contract terms
- Collaborate with CPC Park Operations staff to achieve set work plan goals and provide support for CPC and special events
- Interact with park patrons in a professional manner
- Be able identify and adapt to changing priorities
- Maintain inventory and ensure proper care/storage of all tools, equipment, materials, and supplies to support predictive and regular maintenance of park equipment and assets
- Safely operate various types of equipment including light or medium weight trucks and tractors
- Respond quickly to emergency situations including, but not limited to, storms, snow events, utility outages, and infrastructure failures
- Associate degree from accredited college in a related field; 3 years of increasingly responsible experience in maintenance work in the field of Landscape, facilities, building or custodial management; or
- Education and/or experience equivalent to “1” above. However, all candidates must have demonstrated the ability to work well and collaborate with others
- Valid Drivers’ License that must be maintained for duration of employment
- Possess a fundamental understanding and knowledge of urban park, custodial/facility maintenance using modern practices
- Ability to provide both oral and written communication that is easily understood and direct in its content
- Ability to engage in critical thinking skills that allow for prioritizing issues, coordinating multiple projects and problem solve
- Ability to work flexible hours, including weekends and holidays as needed
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. and perform heavy physical labor daily in all weather conditions
Central Park Conservancy
Website: Apply Online