Forest Crew Leader (Gardener II)
Start Date: October, 2019 Compensation: New hire: $25.95 per hour
NYC Parks is the steward of over 30,000 acres of land — 14 percent of Nw York City — including more than 5,000 individual properties ranging from Coney Island Beach and Central Park to community gardens and Greenstreets. We operate more than 800 athletic fields and nearly 1,000 playgrounds, 1,800 basketball courts, 550 tennis courts, 67 public pools, 51 recreational facilities, 15 nature centers, 14 golf courses, and 14 miles of beaches. We care for 1,200 monuments and 23 historic house museums. We look after 600,000 street trees, and two million more in parks. We are New York City’s principal providers of recreational and athletic facilities and programs. We are home to free concerts, world-class sports events, and cultural festivals.
The mission of Forestry, Horticulture and Natural Resources (FHNR) is to protect, restore, expand and manage New York City’s natural spaces and green infrastructure to maximize their benefits and promote their value within and outside of the urban ecosystem.
- Under general supervision, lead and participate in forest restoration, site preparation, invasive species control, planting and other natural areas restoration work throughout New York City.
- Supervise employees and volunteers and instruct them in proper restoration techniques and the proper use and care of equipment and materials.
- Manage and supervise volunteer events.
- Maintain records and prepare written reports, including the daily entry of fieldwork into web-based databases and use of handheld GPS units.
- Coordinate on-site restoration efforts with, park managers, local community groups and other agencies.
- Interact with staff and the public in a courteous and professional manner.
- One year of full-time experience in gardening work, including experience in each of the following: planting, cultivating and caring for trees, plants, shrubs and lawns; or
- A certificate from a horticulture or botanic program containing college-level courses, such as programs offered by the New York Botanical Garden, the Brooklyn Botanical Garden, etc.; or
- A satisfactory combination of education and/or experience that is equivalent to “1” above. Thirty semester credits from an accredited college, at least fifteen of which must be in horticulture, agriculture, agronomy, plant pathology, botany, landscape design or architecture, entomology, forestry, floriculture, plant production and/or crop management,may be substituted for the one year of the work experience described in “1” above.
- A motor vehicle driver license valid in the State of New York. This license must be maintained for the duration of employment.
- Additional requirements for Assignment Level II Candidates must have one additional year of satisfactory, full-time xperience in gardening work, including experience in each of the following areas: propagating, planting, cultivating, and caring for trees, plants, shrubs and lawns.
- Commercial Pesticide Applicator – Category 3A License Requirement To be appointed or assigned to Gardener – Assignment Level II, candidates must have a Commercial Pesticide Applicator – Category 3A License issued by the New York State Department of Environmental onservation. This license must be maintained for duration of employment.
- Two years of full-time experience in ecological restoration work, including experience in: planting, cultivating and caring for native forest plants; removal of invasive plants by mechanical, chemical and manual means, or
- Bachelor’s degree or graduate degree with emphasis in botany, ecology, forestry and wildlife management or related fields.
- Experience supervising field crews
- Expert in identifying both native and invasive plant species of the northeastern United States.
- Ability to safely lift 50 lbs. of weight.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required within 90 days of hire for all other candidates.
Email resume and cover letter to Rudiger.Klein@parks.nyc.gov.
City employees please include your ERN.
New York City Department of Parks and Recreation
Contact Name: Rudiger Klein