Forest Crew Supervisor
TITLE: Forest Crew Supervisor
LOCATION: Forest & Highland Park, Queens, NY
SALARY: $19 per hour (28 hours per week)
SEASONAL POSTION: June 3 – August 9, 2019 (10 weeks)
WORK LOCATION: Oak Ridge, One Forest Park, Woodhaven, NY
The Forest Park Trust Inc. and the Forest & Highland Park Administration, a unit of NYC Parks, work together to oversee the parks operations, maintenance, capital restoration and special events. Forest Park is the third largest park in Queens. Its 543 acres feature sports fields, a track, playgrounds, golf, gardens, a skate park, and large areas of forest.
- Under the direction of the Landscape Manager, train and supervise seasonal staff, interns and volunteers working on landscape projects. These projects include:
- Maintenance of hiking trails (corridor clearing, informal trail closures and mulching)
- Removal of exotic invasive plant species in natural areas
- Maintenance of the Forest Park Pine Grove
- Coordinate with the Landscape Manager preparation and implementation of work plans and service projects. Track daily field work and submit project reports.
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or working towards a degree in forestry, natural resource management, or related field.
2. Experience working on trails and forest restoration projects.
3. Ability to work with and motivate youth crew and volunteers.
4. Knowledge of Eastern New York Flora and non - native invasive species.
5. Familiar working with landscape hand and power tools. Chainsaw certification a plus.
6. Proficient with Microsoft Office, especially Access and database programs.
7. Willing to work some weekend days, in inclement weather and perform physically demanding work.
8. Valid New York State driver license.
TO APPLY, SEND COVER LETTER & RESUME TO:
Josephine Scalia, Landscape Manager
Oak Ridge/One Forest Park
Woodhaven, NY 11421
FAX: 718 235-4265
The Forest Park Trust, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Forest & Highland Park