Forestry Technician - Hurricane Sandy Crew (Seasonal)
The Prospect Park Alliance is a non-profit organization that sustains, restores and advances Prospect Park for the benefit of diverse communities, in partnership with the City of New York. Prospect Park is Brooklyn’s flagship park and a National Historic Landmark, designed by Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux. The Alliance cares for the natural environment, preserves historic design and serves the community by providing public programming and Park amenities for the Park, which receives more than 10 million visits each year. The Alliance’s work in historic preservation and park revitalization is nationally recognized.
Prospect Park Alliance is an equal opportunity employer committed to making diversity as much a part of its everyday operations as it is a part of its mission and values. The Alliance is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Under the direction of the NRC Seasonal Foreman, the Forestry Technician will perform all field duties relevant to the Hurricane Sandy Woodlands Restoration Crew.
May be assigned other tasks and job duties by the Seasonal Foreman or Management.
- Vegetation control of exotic invasive species using both mechanical and chemical means
- Operation & maintenance of machines and equipment, such as weed whackers, augers, chainsaws, trucks, tractors, and chippers in a safe and efficient manner
- Installation of various erosion control structures
- Fence installation and repair to protect sites and mitigate compaction
- Removal of garbage, litter, and homeless debris in natural areas
- Proper planting and maintenance of native trees, shrub, and herbaceous species in project areas
- Maintain edges of woodland and passive management areas throughout the growing season by mowing and weed whacking
- Conduct snow removal and other emergency response operations throughout the park as assigned
- Continues to learn more about natural ecosystems and their management whenever the opportunity arises
- Train, work with, and instruct volunteers, interns, and students in all above skill related responsibilities
- Enter, keep, and maintain records documenting work activities under supervision of NRC Seasonal Foreperson
- Maintain a positive work attitude by behaving and communicating in a cooperative manner with co-workers, supervisors, and the public
- Maintain all licenses necessary to carry out duties
- Either Bachelor’s degree or higher in Biology, Ecology, Forestry, Natural Resource Management, Fisheries related field or one year related field experience
- Valid NYS Driver’s license
- Ability to perform heavy physical labor and a daily basis such as lifting, moving, and carrying heavy objects of 50lbs or more
- Ability to work in all weather conditions
- Strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong native and invasive plant identification skills a plus
- Ability to work independently and also as part of a team
Prospect Park Alliance
Website: Apply Online