Freelance Horticulturist – Full Time
Start Date: April 2022
Foras Studio is a small landscape design firm based in Brooklyn, New York. We are seeking an experienced and energetic Horticulturist to use best horticultural practices to maintain 35-40 gardens per week and help install several gardens throughout the year. We endeavor to provide expert horticultural care to ensure that our plantings develop into mature, healthy, and long-lived gardens.
The Freelance Horticulturist will work daily with our head gardener to provide courteous and professional care for gardens designed and installed by Foras Studio. During each visit you will carefully examine plant health and perform tasks that contribute to the development of each garden. These tasks may include thinning and shearing hedges, staking perennials, training vines, pest identification and management, divisions, formative pruning, etc.
This position also includes assisting with garden installations. It is necessary that candidates be able to lift 50lbs repeatedly, carry containerized plants and small trees, and perform other rigorous garden chores such as cultivating and amending soil.
- The ideal candidate will have two or more years horticultural education.
- Extensive knowledge of proper pruning and planting techniques.
- Weeds and pest identification and treatment strategies.
- Ability to identify and remediate cultural stresses.
- Familiarity with automatic irrigation systems.
- Adaptable schedule to accommodate weather conditions and installation schedule.
- Willingness to communicate and coordinate with co-workers regarding scheduling and horticultural care.
- Ability to work well with others and alone.
- Professional appearance and attitude.
- Valid driver license a plus.
Contact Name: Paige Keck