Freshkills Park Education Programming Coordinator
Start Date: 2/1/2020 Compensation: $24/hr
The Freshkills Park Alliance is the conservancy supporting New York City Parks in the transformation of the Fresh Kills Landfill, once the world’s largest landfill, into a 2,200 acre park, almost three times the size of Central Park. As the Park opens in phases, the Alliance’s mission is to introduce the public to the park and make the park accessible to the public. The Alliance is the advocate for the park and its many current and prospective constituents, and fulfills its mission through programs that enable visitors to experience the extraordinary evolving park landscape as well as the environmental, arts, education, and recreation resources the park has to offer.
Position Description: The Alliance is seeking a temporary part time educator to work four days (28 hours) per week (including some weekends) from February to July with the possibility of extension based on funding availability. The Educator will lead Freshkills Park based education programs and tours both at the Park and at NYC schools and organizations. This person will be responsible for delivering existing curriculum as well as updating curriculum to ensure it is current with NYS DOE standards and STEAM principles. In addition, the Freshkills Park Alliance has a Mobile Laboratory that is an important part of our curriculum and the part time educator will be expected to deploy the laboratory as part of his/her work.
- Under general supervision, with latitude for independent judgment and initiative, perform work in the development, implementation, coordination, and evaluation of education programming that uses Freshkills Park as a platform for topics in ecology, sustainability, wildlife, and land transformation.
- Lead tours and programs on-site at Freshkills Park and off-site at community partner facilities, schools and other venues.
- Deliver environmental education programs during the school year.
- Coordinate logistics (including scheduling, transportation and supply inventory) for education programs.
- Foster partnerships with area institutions and organizations to facilitate educational programming.
- Assist with grant writing for public programming grants.
- Contribute to the well-being and efficient operation of the Freshkills Park Development Office and Park programs and projects; pursue cross-disciplinary projects with other team members; actively exchange information and communicate about project work and step in when assistance is needed for a variety of tasks.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in environmental science, education, or related field.
- Demonstrated ability to work with students in a variety of classroom formats
- Experience with curriculum development and program evaluation sustainability and education who is confident working both individually and as part of a team.
- Strong public speaking, writing, and listening skills
- Motivated, resourceful, and creative self-starter with a passion for environmental sustainability and education who is confident working both individually and as part of a team
- Responsible, detail-oriented, and organized
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office; Adobe Creative Suite experience a plus
- Willingness to travel frequently around NYC and work on-site as often as needed
- Flexible schedule - ability to work nights and weekends
- Driver’s License required
HOW TO APPLY Send resume and cover letter to:
or Mail: Karl Vetter, Freshkills Park, PO Box 719, New York, NY 10272
Accepting Applications through December 15th, 2019