Garden Design/Build Team members
Start Date: Feb/March Compensation: $20 - $30/hr based on experience
Design by Plants is looking for team members to help design, build and steward gardens in Brooklyn and/or Kerhonkson, NY. Our work seeks in every way to create restorative natural environments, rebuild ecological communities and artfully reconnect our clients to plants and the living world. We are architects, artists, horticulturalists, designers, builders and educators designing and building beautiful and productive gardens, weaving the natural and built worlds. Our Ulster County location, the Field Station is being developed as a nursery, regenerative farm and education center.
As a design/build firm engaged in making gardens we ask our employees to demonstrate proficiency or bring a strong desire to learn in multiple skill areas. These will include:
- Identifying, installing, and caring for plants
- Constructing wood and stone garden structures (fences, walls, patios, planters, pergolas)
- An ability to communicate and manage necessary information through field drawings, computer graphics and the Google-suite (Adobe Suite a plus)
- Research, design and planning of gardens and their elements
- Installing and maintaining irrigation and low voltage lighting systems
- Collecting plants and materials in a van and delivering them safely to job sites
- Good drafting, sketching skills for plans and details (AutoCAD familiarity a plus)
We will consider applicants with 2-10 years of horticulture, garden design, gardening and/or garden construction (carpentry and/or masonry) experience. The ideal candidate will be passionate about plants and rebuilding ecological systems, be able to work individually or as part of a team, be flexible and creative, be resourceful and a problem-solver. The position will require the ability to move heavy materials from time to time. A bicycle will be useful (Brooklyn). A vehicle and driver’s license will be necessary (Kerhonkson).
Please submit a resume and cover letter indicating your interest in the position.
We are minimally seeking team members for the full season, on a part-time or full-time basis (3-5 days per week). Part-time and seasonal positions have the potential to become full-time.
Location: We are looking for people to help us in both of our locations. Your job will be based in one location, but we may also request your assistance in our second location.
We require that all employees are vaccinated and practice safe COVID-19 protocols per federal, state and local requirements.
Design by Plants
Contact Name: Anne Wiesen