Garden Education Coordinator - 2023/24
Start Date: November 2023 Compensation: $25/hour
Garden Education Coordinators train Public Health AmeriCorps Members to educate children and youth through the key programs at our gardens in East Harlem. Afterschool, Summer Camp, and Green Exercise Days serve elementary school age children through educational workshops during the school year, and Outdoor Leadership Academy serves 14-24-year-olds through experiential education and career readiness workshops or professional development throughout the year. The Garden Education Coordinator is responsible for teaching, carrying out activities and guiding participants in their personal growth and professional skills, while ensuring that Members teach children and youth about gardening, and soft and hard skills related to gardening in line with their academic and/or career goals. Concrete Safaris operates gardens across 9-acres of NYC Housing Authority property in two public housing developments, Jefferson and Washington Houses.
Essential Job Functions:
- Participate in the development and implementation of learning experiences for Public Health AmeriCorps Members to teach children and youth within the mission and outcomes related to gardening. Train, lead, manage, and track progress of members as they teach children in the study of urban agriculture, garden design and installation, pollination and insects, community engagement in public spaces, plant sciences, and garden volunteerism and tours. Offer in-person programming only.
- Ensure that staff and participants know and follow safety and educational procedures. Apply basic child development principles in working with participants through communication, relationship development, respect for diversity, involvement, and empowerment of youth. Assure that participants are properly supervised at all times.
- Be a role model to participants and staff in your attitude and behavior. Follow and uphold all safety and security rules and procedures. Set a good example to participants and others in regard to general procedures and practices including sanitation, schedule, and sportsmanship.
- Shovels, rakes, wheelbarrow, pruning tools, hoses, power tools, and other gardening equipment.
Physical Aspects of the Job:
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing. Use mathematical reasoning. High level of professionalism, integrity, work ethic, accountability, and responsibility. Highly organized self-starter; ability to take direction, structure tasks, establish priorities, and set goals.
Qualifications (Minimum Qualifications and Education):
- High School diploma is a must, College Degree preferred. NYS Mandated Reporter, First Aid, & CPR. Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Horticulture: 3 years (Required); Gardening: 3 years (Required); Youth Development: 3 years (Required)
Please complete the above application online and send your resume to email@example.com. Thank you.
Concrete Safaris Inc.
Website: Apply Online