The Horticultural Society of New York (the Hort) is seeking a creative and organized Garden Educator to join our team. The Educator travels throughout NYC reaching students of all ages. Our work also serves school students, families, senior, and neighbors from our Education Center at the Denny Farrell Riverbank State Park.
- Teach in-person, on-line and in blended capacities for students, families, seniors and the general public.
- Travel to partner sites to plant, propagate, cultivate, and maintain vegetable, pollinator and learning gardens.
- Price, procure and deliver program supplies.
- Update the Director weekly to discuss successes and challenges of each site.
- Develop promotional and project materials to create awareness and increased project engagement.
- Solicit, schedule and teach school groups and public programs at our DFRSP Education Center.
- Maintain school gardens and roof-top sites.
- Maintain receipts and tracking expenses.
- Maintain attendance and learning outcome records
- 4-year college degree in education, environmental science, botany or related field or equivalent experience
- Teaching experience in formal, non-formal and outdoor capacities
- Exceptional communication skills: you shine in front of the classroom and through written and verbal communication
- Plant knowledge, basic gardening skills and a passion for sustainability and the environment
- Fluency in web-based learning and social media platforms
- Detail-oriented, and highly organized
- Love of travel by public transportation
- Willingness to work both indoors and outdoors in varying weather conditions
- Strong writing, editing, communication and video content creation skills
- Able to work both independently and with department staff to complete projects on a timely basis
- All new hires must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date
The Hort offers full-time employees a generous vacation package, sick leave, personal leave, 10 paid holidays, and the opportunity to enroll in our medical plan (of which the Hort pays a portion).
Details at a Glance
- Employment Classification: Full-Time Regular
- Salary Range: $40,000 - $42,000
- Reports to: Director of Education
- Ability to lift and move up to 25 pounds
- Must be able to squat, lift, stretch, bend, and stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to perform physical labor outside in various weather conditions.
- Comfort working seated at a desk and on a computer for prolonged periods
How to Apply
To be considered please email a thoughtful cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and content sample (ie lesson plan, video, or activity outline) to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Garden Educator’ in the subject line. No phone calls.
The Hort is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. It is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law. We provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities to enable them to perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations are also available for these individuals during the hiring process. Please email email@example.com should you require a reasonable accommodation during the hiring process.
The Horticultural Society of New York