(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Compensation: 15 per hour
Employees in this position learn and perform a wide variety of horticultural maintenance tasks throughout the horticultural sites and parklands operated by the Morris County Park Commission. Individuals are required to have a basic understanding of horticulture and the skills necessary to perform horticulture maintenance tasks. Employees in this position work under the supervision of the designated Superintendent or their designee. Employees in this position report to the designated Superintendent of Horticulture at Willowwood Arboretum/Bamboo Brook or Frelinghuysen Arboretum.
- Physically works in all aspects of arboretum maintenance and development including soil preparation, planting, mulching, watering, weeding, fertilizing, pruning, propagating, mowing, raking, sweeping/blowing of debris and chipping of branches.
- Learns to operate in a proficient manner: push mowers, ride-on mowers, string trimmers, backpack blowers, push blowers, garden ATVs, pickup trucks and other power equipment following MCPC safety protocols in compliance with regulatory standards.
- Utilizes and, where necessary, learns the proper use of shovels, trowels, fan rakes, grading rakes, spades, digging forks, pickaxes, brooms, hand shears, hand saws, loppers, pole pruners & pole saws, wheelbarrows, fertilizer spreaders, garden carts, ladders, and other hand tools properly to complete assigned tasks.
- Successfully performs the above functions and uses said equipment independently following an instructional period without constant supervision.
- Possesses a demonstrated eagerness to learn basic horticultural practices and procedures required for soil preparation, planting, mulching, watering, weeding, fertilizing, pruning, propagating, mowing, raking, sweeping & blowing, tree & brush cutting, and chipping.
- The willingness to learn common and uncommon landscape plants.
- The physical strength, dexterity, and coordination sufficient to perform the above functions.
- The ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- The ability to lift and carry weights of up to 50 pounds.
- Possession of a valid driver's license.
- Ability to fulfill the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation. Seasonal period is defined as a work period up to a maximum of 6 months.
Morris County Park Commission
Contact Name: Nicholas Stewart
Website: Apply Online